Shrimp Salsa?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a 20oz container of shrimp salsa from a Mexican market earlier today & really enjoyed it....

Looks like it had cucumbers, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, chopped shrimp, and a little tomato. It's a mostly clearish liquid...

Sound familiar? Post if you have a good recipe please!

Sounds like shrimp ceviche to me. Look it up, it is really easy to make, I almost made some to day. Eat it on top of a tostada or with tortilla chips and little hot sauce. or make a Baja style shrimp cocktail, put some in a margarita glass with a little avocado and add Clamato or tomato juice and hot sauce and have it with some tortilla chips which is my favorite way.

That's ceviche Clint, It's really simple to make & you can do it for way cheaper than your buying it already made.

I thought it might be that -- I've had it a couple of times, the best was made by my friend's wife (prolly 13 years back) - he was from Guadalajara, not sure about her. Do you guys "cook" it in the lime juice or just boil the shrimp? I got a 2-pack of 32oz each of lemon juice from Costco, would that work?

I'll check my cookbooks & post if I make anything remarkable.

Last edited:
Sounds like shrimp ceviche to me. Look it up, it is really easy to make, I almost made some to day. Eat it on top of a tostada or with tortilla chips and little hot sauce. or make a Baja style shrimp cocktail, put some in a margarita glass with a little avocado and add Clamato or tomato juice and hot sauce and have it with some tortilla chips which is my favorite way.

I must have this. YUM.

Clint i let the lime juice do the work, But if you can buy pre-boiled shrimp work's just as well.
I've never tired bottled lemon juice to make it before that stuff taste strange to me Doing it with lemon is going to be tart i'd think..

Last edited:
Here is the way I do it

Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail

all measurements are approximates

1lb shrimp shells on, deveined. Peal the shrimp and boil. Once shrimp is cooked place in ice water to stop cooking. Reverve about 2-3 cups of the water the shrimp was cooked in and put in the shells from the shrimp in to make a stock and simmer for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove shells and chill the shrimp stock. Save a few shrimp with tails on only if you want to garnish.

Cooked shrimp and dice into chunks
2 tomatoes finely chopped seeds removed
1 large cucumber finely diced seeds removed
2 stalks celery finely chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 small white or yellow onion finely chopped
2 jalapenoes seeded and deveined finely chopped
juice from 2 limes
½ bunch of cilantro finely chopped
splash of white vinegar, olive oil, hot sauce
1/2-1 tsp Mexican oregano
salt to taste

Place in a bowl and chill at least 3-4 hours

Prior to serving quarter up some more limes, dice up some, avocados, and make a 50/50 mix of the Tomato juice and shrimp stock.*

We used margaritas glasses as bowls. Fill half way with the veggies/shrimp, add some diced avocado, then fill the glass the rest of the way more veggie/shrimp mixture. Then add the shrimp/ tomato juice.

Serve with the limes, hot sauce and tortilla chips

* you can use tomato, Clamato, V-8, etc, juice of your choice,

**This recipe minus the juice mixture is the same recipe we use for Shrimp Ceviche. We eat ceviche on a tostada and add Tapatio Hot sauce on top. The only other difference is the shrimp is “cooked” in lime juice.

I just made some of this for lunch..... I used my new food processor for the first time to make it - it did a great job on most things but left a few things to be desired with others....

I used a can of tomatoes from costco (organic diced) with juice, I tried a couple chunks on a chip w/ a shrimp to make sure it wasn't a mistake. I did everything else pretty much like you said (so far!), other than I used almost 1.5# shrimp, 3 jalapenos, 1 habanero, and had the first 2 cup serving immediately.....

I had this and a pulled pork sandwich for lunch. I noticed myself making all kinds of num num sounds :) I was thinking this is the best G-D "soup" (it was still pretty chunky) I've ever made :)

Thanks again.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record!

I just made this again for lunch..... no recipe this time (loosely followed John's guidance)

nearly 1# shrimp - cooked & chopped into thirds (41-50 per pound)
1 green pepper
3 jalapenos
5 medium tomatoes
2 cucumbers - mostly peeled, but left a little of the peel
1/2 large red onion
1/2 bunch cilantro
juice of 3 limes (small) & 1 lemon (large)
salt & pepper
2 tbsp Habanero hot sauce
5 radishes

I chopped everything up with the french fry disk in the food processor, used a little of the shrimp boil water & the shells to make a stock, & dropped everything in....... dare I say best yet???

Sounds really good Clint!!! This is one of those meals that taste really good when its nice and chilled and the weather is just sweltering and you don't want to eat anything hot. Goes excellent with an ice cerveza with a lime

Back