Minion v. Standard method

Ryan P.K.

TVWBB Pro
I have just purchase a Pitmaster IQ 110 for 22.5 WSM. My question is this, which method is best way to run this ACT. I have been using the standard method so far, but I feel I am burning lot of fuel. Which method is the best?

Depends on how long you want to smoke something. Anything longer than a couple of hours I prefer to use the Minion method so I don't have to light and add more charcoal. Easier to maintain temperatures that way too.

Ryan, I also own a 22 1/2 and a Pitmaster IQue. I use it mainly at competitions and some overnights at the house. What I do, is load the charcoal chamber with unlit and then light 15-20 coals in a chimney and evenly spread the lit coals on top of the unlit. I then leave the remaining bottom vents open until I get within 30 degrees of my target cooking temperature. Then I close down the two open bottom vents and turn on the IQue and let it bring me up to my desired cooking temp. I am usually up to cooking temp within 20-30 minutes tops.

Bruce- That is what I do to. How many hours, at 250*, can you get using your the Pitmaster?

Frank- I guess my standard is pouring the lit coals over the non-lit. Minion method that I am referring to is, The Tin Can Method.

Ryan, I use Stubbs Briquets and I can get at least 12 hours, The last overnighter I did, I put 4 butts on at 10pm and at 10am I pulled them off and I still had some charcoal left. Probably could have went another hour maybe.

Frank- I guess my standard is pouring the lit coals over the non-lit. Minion method that I am referring to is, The Tin Can Method.

oh ! Ok.... Well , FWIW the debates I've read on that subject are pretty much 50-50 . most people might prefer one way or the other but ultimately think it makes little or no difference.... I am a tin can guy myself.

Depends on the cook. I use the minion method for long cooks and standard for short. I seem to get a lot more life out of my charcoal using my Stoker.

... Frank- I guess my standard is pouring the lit coals over the non-lit. Minion method that I am referring to is, The Tin Can Method.

Actually, both of your mentioned methods are considered the Minion method! If you read his posts (both here and on other places) you will find that Jim did it both ways.

What I would consider 'the standard method' is unlit coals added on top of lit coals. Jim's method provides for long, steady unattended cooks whereas the 'standard method' does not.

I use the minion method on anything over a 2 hour cook. I got a pitmaster iq 120 for xmas. on my 22 wsm @ 250° I got 17 hours. on my 18 wsm w/ the iq 120 I have gotten 15 hours then I shut her down. love my iq. a lot.

I always use the minion method. I use a #10, (restaurant sized) can with both ends cut off. I put it in the center of my WSM and add charcoal and wood chunks around it. I light a chimney starter and pour the lit charcoal in the can, then I lift the can out. So, my fire is always starting from the middle and burning outward. It works really well. You could also use a piece of 6" carbon steel or stainless pipe for this. A can is easy to get and works just fine.

Pipe Minion Method

I always use the minion method. I use a #10, (restaurant sized) can with both ends cut off. I put it in the center of my WSM and add charcoal and wood chunks around it. I light a chimney starter and pour the lit charcoal in the can, then I lift the can out. So, my fire is always starting from the middle and burning outward. It works really well. You could also use a piece of 6" carbon steel or stainless pipe for this. A can is easy to get and works just fine.

I do exactly the same thing with a piece of vent pipe. The only difference is I start the pipe on the side closest to the fan. That way the heat is conducted across the pile of charcoal by the push of air. So it burns from one side to the other uniformly.

I do exactly the same thing with a piece of vent pipe. The only difference is I start the pipe on the side closest to the fan. That way the heat is conducted across the pile of charcoal by the push of air. So it burns from one side to the other uniformly.

Uniformly? I don't get it. The heat starts on one side and doesn't reach the other till later on. Don't you want temps to be as even as possible across the cooking grate...especially for ribs?

Uniformly? I don't get it. The heat starts on one side and doesn't reach the other till later on. Don't you want temps to be as even as possible across the cooking grate...especially for ribs?

When I said uniformly I was referring to the uniform burn of the charcoal. No left over coals that are partially burned etc. The air mix inside the WSM with the fan is thorough enough that the heat is distributed consistenly for even temps.

When I said uniformly I was referring to the uniform burn of the charcoal. No left over coals that are partially burned etc. The air mix inside the WSM with the fan is thorough enough that the heat is distributed consistenly for even temps.

Interesting. That's been a concern of mine with my new ATC, but I haven't had any issues yet. I've only used it for pork butts, though, and it seemed to me that purposely lighting only the ATC side would exacerbate the problem. Thanks!

Bob, for best circulation in my 18.5" wsm with my PartyQ (6.5cfs fan), would you recommend shutting the top vent halfway as some folks do?

Bob, for best circulation in my 18.5" wsm with my PartyQ (6.5cfs fan), would you recommend shutting the top vent halfway as some folks do?

I found it really depends on how air tight you WSM is in the first place. 1/2 is a good baseline to start from, I found more issues with being to closed than being to open. I started a bit tighter and had that off taste on my first batch of ribs.

Back