Sauce Varieties Question for a noob

Tom Wills

TVWBB Member
Hello!

I live in Northeast Ohio. Not exactly the BBQ mecca of the USA. In fact, I can only think of 3 BBQ restaurants in my county, and they aren't exactly tourist attractions. I am interested in making my own sauces but I am confused by all the regional names and what type is what. Can someone break it down and provide popular but simple to make sauces for each region? What do they go well with? I pulled these varieties from my trusty source; Wikipedia. Any more I should know about?

East Carolina Sauce –

Lexington Dip (a.k.a. Western Carolina Dip or Piedmont Dip) –

Memphis –

South Carolina Mustard Sauce –

Texas –

Alabama White Sauce –

Thanks John. This is the type of article/information I am looking for. If there are any more pages like amazingribs.com that are decent, I would like to hear about them.

One thing that I learned, was make sure you write down what you put into it, every time and make notes afterwards. I also noticed, that if I made a sauce they day of the cook and saved the rest, it tasted different the following days...

I've learned to do the same thing, Curtis, when I'm cooking and especially "concocting" or even revising a recipe. Even if you just buy a spiral bound-notebook and put everything in there. You're always glad you did.

Back