Old Genesis Fix Up

B.Lasky

TVWBB Super Fan
We've owned this grill for about 15 years. Use it year round and still works pretty, good. Grates and bars have been replaced over the years, but nothing else. The right side of the grill does not get as hot as the left. It is a large difference. Wondering if I should start with the burner tubes? Would a regulator affect it also? Here is a picture. Needs some cleaning. Still love the maroon color. Amazed how well it's held up.
11691523886_82c542564e.jpg
[/url] image by boblasky1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have you ever tried cleaning your burner tubes? I remove mine and spray with compressed air. This took care of my issue.

I’ve owned that exact same grill except in green for over 15 years also. I rebuilt it about 5 years ago, using new flavorizer bars I got from RCPLANEBUYER on EBay he makes custom bars in stainless that use 16ga instead of 18ga that Weber uses. Also replaced the grills with cast iron ones, painted the frame and redid the shelves.
Parts are fairly easy to find from Weber or parts houses. We just moved into a new home with a natural gas bib on the patio so I ordered a new NG manifold from erepacementparts.com to convert it.
Living in NY with the humidity you might have to replace the burners, here in dry AZ mine are still fine.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Most times, the burner ports clog with rust & stuff and just need a little TLC. When I'm doing a restore, I'll remove the burner tubes and clean with sandpaper followed by a 'pick' and poke each gas port. That's typically all that's needed, but new burners are 50 bucks. Then again, I haven't priced them since Weber jacked their prices in October...

Just use a good wire brush on those burners. A good stiff brushing will reopen the partly clogged holes. I also flush them out with solvent and blow out with my compressor. Another point a Weber tech turned me on to. The orifices on the end of the valves can get corrosion in them. They suggested I take the orifices out and clean the well. Grill was nice and even again

I did a quick clean on the burner tubes. Ports looked clear. Even flames. I had checked the spider filters before. I didn't take thetubes out because the screws/bolts no longer looked like hardware. Hooked up Maverick with two probes. On high all was great, really even. When I switched to medium to low there was about 90° difference. The left side being the hotter. Thoughts?

I didn't take the tubes out because the screws/bolts no longer looked like hardware.

Huh? The 2 screws/bolts in each left side corner where the front/rear burner tubes are secured? No need to remove them as the burner tubes have notches in them and just slip into place. I never use medium/low settings so I can't offer anything there.

Well picked up a new set of burner tubes at Mileage Master in Rochester, NY. what an awesome place. All Weber and Big Greens. The had a blue 22.5 in the window. Also had a Crimson Genesis, beautiful. Anyway. The burners went in with out a hitch. Quite the difference. Grill pegs the thermometer on warm-up and heats much more evenly. I forgot how nice it cooks. I guess I don't really "need" a new grill. That blue was kind of sharp.......

Huh? The 2 screws/bolts in each left side corner where the front/rear burner tubes are secured? No need to remove them as the burner tubes have notches in them and just slip into place. I never use medium/low settings so I can't offer anything there.
Didn't realize that. They told me the same thing when I bought the new burners. Makes it easy.

Back