Bobby Flay

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
I just saw an episode of "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay. He was facing off against a champion cook making St. Louis ribs.

Well, the big surprise was that the champ grilled his ribs for 20 minutes on each side in his pit, and that was it. Bobby, meanwhile, smoked his for hours (as most of us do).

The champ won. His ribs were judged the most flavorful (Largely due to his sauce and rub), and they were fall-off-the-bone tender.

How can this be, with such a short (and therefore high heat) cook?

Jeff

I am totally confused, I don't see how it is possible to get falling off the bone tender in 20 minutes/side grilling without some kind of major pretreatment.

Anyone???

Well I just tried it this morning and I did what Ed Mitchell did. I dry rubbed with salt,pepper,granulated garlic and some sugar. Threw them on high direct (500 degree) heat for about 10 min. or until it had grill marks,flipped them over indirect for 30 min. then sauced for another ten. Meat pulled 1/2" away from bone tips. Very tender and juicy. It actually does work. The ribs smelled fantastic. Think about it though people have been grilling ribs since the beginning of man so this ain't new. We're just used to low and slow.
Picture070.jpg

I know it seems odd, but for about the last 20 years that's how I have always cooked my ribs except I have always used an open pit... Until last year when I purchased the WSM I am still trying to learn how to cook the dang things to perfection!

I am learning though!
icon_smile.gif

But I can make them fall off the bone tender doing them on my open pit still in MUCH less time...

grill1.jpg

I have been a big Ed Mitchell fan since way back in Wilson NC he had a Taj ma BBQ built. Unfortunately he did turn in his sales taxes and or some other tax problems and had to close. He resurfaced in Raleigh and now is head cook at a swank BBQ joint. Anyway, I just had to see for myself and here is the video from yesterday. the ribs were awesome.

watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voRsipzogEw

the rest of the world seems to cook them right over the coals. can't see it being a bad thing. i'll get up some nerve and try it one day.

Yes it works. I been grilling like that for many, many years before buying my first smoker. As for which is better it all depends on how much time you have and if you want to watch the cook constantly. I now prefer my pit or WSM method but cook only for 3-31/2 hours since I do not like ribs to be falling of the bone...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
I know it seems odd, but for about the last 20 years that's how I have always cooked my ribs except I have always used an open pit... Until last year when I purchased the WSM I am still trying to learn how to cook the dang things to perfection!

I am learning though!
icon_smile.gif

But I can make them fall off the bone tender doing them on my open pit still in MUCH less time...

grill1.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where can I get a fir pit like that ?

/QUOTE]

where can I get a fir pit like that ?[/QUOTE]

you got a 18.5 weber according to your sig. the thing in the pic is basicaly a version of the typical kettle grill.

the problem bobby flay has with cooking on his throwdown show is he always tries to slide some fruity new york concoction into the basic recipe sideways. he would probably do a lot better if he gave up on those attempts to add fruity crap to traditional food. bobby flay just misses totally the idea of doing things the traditional old fashioned methods and just make good food. he is a talented cook and obviously has teh ability to produce food but he always adds some craziness into a dish that really doesnt need it to be good.

Jon... yep he likes to add some kind of "fancy smancy" twist into his recipes. Some things may work but other times it just doesn't. Long time ago he had a grilling show with another guy who wore cover-alls. Can't remember names but at that time he was already was adding twists to everything. Interesting but give me salt and pepper (no other spices in our sugar plantation kitchen 60 years ago)... and I be happy grilling and q'ing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Long time ago he had a grilling show with another guy who wore cover-alls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The show was Grilling and Chilling with Flay and Jack McDavid. Bobby would cook with gas and McDavid would use coals. I think part of the attraction of the thowdown show is the inevitable contrasting styles and recipes. The show wouldn't be as interesting IMO if both contestants used the same recipe. Flay has to be true to himself and cook in his manner. That's part of the appeal; an award winning chef using his skill and background versus an ordinary citizen (many times a non-professional). As far as fruit used in sauces, IMO, I think fruit juice and pulp goes very well with many meats and sauces. I tend to get bored with the tried and true tomato or vinegar based Q sauces all the time.

Paul

Thanks Paul K for the names. I agree that fruit juices and spices goes well with many meats but some just doesn't. When I rotisserie a whole hog, I use just salt. The flavor of the pork being internally basted by its own juices and roasted over coals is fantastic and therefore should not be masked with fruit juices and other liquids. Being an ordinary citizen and non-professional I prefer to keep things simple and basic, but I have been know to use rubs from time to time. Just my "cave-man" instincts. Thanks again...

joe

Back