How often does Weber update their grills?

Brian Burke

Hi folks.

I know Weber has the new colors out for 2014, but how often to they make functional changes to them? I'm asking because I'm very interested in the Platinum with the butane starter, but there are many mixed reviews about it on Amazon. I'm wondering if Weber plans to tweak that ignition system.

Any input is appreciated.

Brian

How often? Rarely. I have a '98 Performer and a '11 Performer and while the tables are different, the gas assist and ignition is the same. There isn't anything wrong with the ignition system and it works fine. Typically when it doesn't, it's because bugs have made cocoons inside the tube causing the gas to flow funky or the electrode contacts get rusty. My '98 Performers (yeah, I have 2) and they both have the original gas assist parts.

Get the Platinum, you'll be glad you did.

If interested, you can research how changes have occurred over the years through use of the various catalogs Chris has posted here. You can see slight updates over time.

Thanks, guys. Busy busy week. Just got back here. I'll probably end up getting it, but another quick question. Are they ever on sale? I have 3 Webers and they always seem to be the same price no matter when I look. Thanks again, everyone.

There is a problem with the ignition switch? I hope no one tells my two year old performer that. Brian, you will never see Weber advertised below MSRP, big companies like Weber have what is called a MAP which stands for Minimum Advertised Price, so there for resellers cannot posted an add that is below MSRP, however, free trade does not allow any one to dictate the price they can sell for. The only way you are going to find a Weber on sale is to go to the store and see if the store has marked them down. You will never see any online pricing below MSRP. I was lucky when I purchased my performer two years ago, I kept checking out the performers once or twice a week. One day they were all gone and I was bummed, however as I was looking at the table marked 50% off, there was a familiar looking box under the table and SCORE...$150.00 for a brand new performer with a still working ignition switch. Even if....if my switch went out, the performer offers so many other feature I wouldn't even care.

Last edited:
Thanks, James. I'm not saying there's a problem with the switch, just that there are mixed reviews on Amazon as to how well it works. I was laughing about how you "visited" the grill several times. Glad I'm not alone in that regard!

Are you kidding me Brian....I touch at least 3 to 4 Webers that I don't own weekly. What ever store I go into I go checkout the grill section. If I go shopping with my sweetheart she always knows where to find me. I have been jonesing for some cast iron and the other day I went shopping for food to grill, checked out the cookware section and guess what was on sales 25% off....I now have some CI.

Back