1/2 brisket-1/2 pastrami part 2 - pastrami

Brad Chilton

TVWBB Fan
So about 12 days ago I took a 15 pound brisket and separated most of the flat from the point ... I smoked the point a couple of days later and put the flat in a brine for pastrami .. The Brine is basically Pop's brine with a few personal touches added ... So 10 days brine , 2 days on the rub and here we are on Friday smoke day !!! Also trying a lamb shank and will be doing ribs later this afternoon.. Meat went on around 7 am.... Man I love the smell of smoke with my coffee ....ambient temp around 63 now and supposed to hit 90 this afternoon ....first pic

null_zps63a0010f.jpg

Last edited:
Just pulled the Lamb shank a bit ago , int temp 188 ... Maybe should have let go a bit longer . But meat is tender and tasty ... But not fall off the bone tender .. Flavor is amazing ... First time for me ever cooking lamb ...it's a learning curve...

null_zps51af4404.jpg

null_zpsa949f055.jpg

Last edited:
put the flat in a brine for pastrami ..
I love pastrami but never looked into making it myself. Is Brisket the typical cut of beef used to make Pastrami? Can you share "Pop's Brine" recipe?

Funny I never used to either , to gamey.... But the lamb now is different , more like beef but leaner ...
Being Greek, lamb has always been a part of my family's diet. When we cook it we always use a lot of garlic and lemon juice (as well as EVOO, salt, pepper, Oregino, etc.) to help kill the gamey taste. The other thing I've found is most people who have never eaten lamb before tend to like it somewhere between medium and well done as opposed to medium rare which is what a lot of people aim for.

Back