WSM is amazing! - 9 racks

John A

TVWBB Member
This has been my 5th or 6th smoke on my new 18.5in WSM. Yesterday I smoked 9 baby back rib racks (from Costco) - 5 on the top grate and 4 on the bottom grate. I am so impressed.

First, the ribs were done after 5 hours. Second, I was able to do all my other pre-party chores (lawn mow, ice the beers, etc.) while the ribs were holding steady at 225ish; no constant watching. Third, the temperature just held steady. I did add some extra apple wood chunks and stoke the coals a bit, and of course I sprayed them with apple cider. But for the most part the WSM did all the work.

I linked some pictures of the smoke over at my grilling blog - www.grilling24x7.com.

I'll try to link them below:

At the beginning:
6ribs2.jpg

After 5 hours:
6ribs1.jpg

another:
6ribs3.jpg

John

it looks like a Charcoal Companion Non-Stick Reversible Roasting / Rib Rack

Found it on Amazon for $14.99

Could also be a Outset Dual Rib / Roasting Rack

it is $11.83 on Amazon

Originally posted by Jason Prince:

I have those and I think they are, at least similar, to what in the pic. Picked up a similar looking one on clearance at a kitchen store a while back. Like them, plenty wide w/o being to wide and will also stack chicken 1/4's on them.

Originally posted by Jason Prince:

ding ding ding. Yes it is the Charcoal Companion. I really like it. I have two of them.

John,

So it fits well on the 18.5" WSM? I am getting my new WSM this week. My first cook will be BB ribs Saturday. I can't wait! I also got a good deal on it....$263.21 with free shipping and did the Bill Me Later for 90 days no payments or interest.

Yes, I think the ribs fit great on the 18.5. However, I do a lot of trimming on my ribs b/c I think that Costco ribs just have too much meat on certain portions of the rack and it makes cooking very uneven. So I trim them up quite a bit. I also cut 1-2 bones off of each side to make sure it fits on the smoker. The portions next to the dome will cook much faster than the portions in the center. So I like to make sure there is an inch at least between the smoker and the meat.

Others have suggested rolling the ribs but I have never tried that - this seems to work well for me.

I buy those ribs all the time. Pretty much the only ones I use. Those are actually loin back ribs which in my opinion are the same as baby back but just off an older animal. I haven't noticed any difference in uneven cooking, the spare end and chine end meats are the same in tenderness as far as I can tell.

I linked some pictures of the smoke over at my grilling blog - www.grilling24x7.com.

John

Awesome pics!!!!

I have a large BBQ planned for this weekend with about 6-7 racks of ribs on the menu. I picked up the rib rack you are using since it looks like it'll serve us well.

I checked out the link to your blog and was wondering where you got these gloves:

ribs_mem1.jpg

Thanks

Originally posted by Scott Dace:
I buy those ribs all the time. Pretty much the only ones I use. Those are actually loin back ribs which in my opinion are the same as baby back but just off an older animal. I haven't noticed any difference in uneven cooking, the spare end and chine end meats are the same in tenderness as far as I can tell.

Don't buy them all. I probably shop at the same Costco. All I've bought there with my membership is meat.

They have a good deal on spices also. I am going to start getting my spices for the rubs I make from Costco. I also love all the free samples on the weekend lol

They look like Black Knight or Cannonball gloves by Showa/Best. Do a search on Black Knight Gloves and you'll find them cheap. About $3 pair for a dozen. Actually I just bought a dozen w 10" gauntlet for $2.60 pr. Some hardware/home stores carry them too. Inexpensive and great to use as food handling gloves. Some BBQ stores/sites sell them for about $10. You can get them in various gauntlet lengths or with no gauntlet. I prefer the 10" I've seen them in two different liner styles. I've been through several sets in the last 4-5 years. Get the ones with the textured/grip finish not slick. I like to keep these around along with disposable surgical gloves for general use.

Not for handling anything really hot like grill grates! Use the leather gloves for that
icon_smile.gif
They do have a moderate amount of cut protection, but that usually sacrifices the glove (no longer water proof, but usable).

Black Knight

BTW - those ribs look GREAT!

Back