15 lb brisket will serve # people?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I did spend a bit of time using the search but surprisingly, could not find the answer.

I have a cook this weekend at the hunting camp for a group of mostly men, but some women and kids. I am trying to figure out how many people can be fed with a 15 lb uncooked weight brisket. I thought I heard the rule of thumb was 1/2 lb per person but wasn't sure that was enough.

I usually go with 6-8oz/person for the meat as long as there is plenty of other eats on the table. Some will eat more and some less. After a long day of chasing through the bush the guys might be hungrier though. How are you serving it? If your serving it in sandwiches it will go further. Have a good hunt.

Full packer or flat? You would want to go by expected yield, not the weight of the uncooked brisket.

Apologies if this is stating the obvious.

1lb a person? Your bbq must taste a lot better than mine. Precooked weight your looking to lose 1/3-1/4 during the cook depending on the fat content so you'll probably end up with about 10-12 lbs of cooked meat. Last shoulder I did started at 18 lbs end I ended up with a little over 11lbs cooked weight and pork will lose a lot more weight during the cook than a brisket does.

Or think of it this way. How many 1/4 pound burgers can you eat? If you can eat 2 than thats a 1/2 pound of meat(precooked). Not many of my friends would eat more than 2 burgers and most would eat 1.

Is there a time limit? When we party at my house, folks eat at least twice. But what can I say, we live like animals.

Back