Bacon color

Kyle_P

This is my first bacon try. Now I followed the recipe from charcuterie and added some maple sugar. Now there r some like gray spots. Besides being unappetizing is the meat still good to eat?

Dave thank you for replying. Sorry for not being more detailed.

Ok I have not smoked them yet. That is the plan for sat morning. I had bought a 15lb pork belly. I split it into three equal sizes. I had used two recipes from charcuterie and one from mike simon. all of them had used pink salt. I put them in the fridge on Feb 9th. I have turned them every other day. I was thinking about trying to let them sit for 48 hours to dry. So when I took them out today and rinsed them I wanted to make sure they were not to salty. I cooked up a few pieces from the first two slabs and they all looked fine and third one looked a little gray/brown.

PYlMoEvNTOOnz6YI0EoTe1yxwE3pGo8-5rwBkYyfOAU

what did you cure them in? the grey is most likely from oxidization which resulted from exposure to air.

Hello all. Sorry I have been MIA. I have not been able to find a job in about a year and a half and all of a sudden I have been having interviews all the time. So I have been really focusing on that. And now back to the bacon.

After worrying about that one slab I did remember that in the middle of curing that bag ended up getting a leak in it. So I figured it was the air.

When that picture was taken I was checking them for saltiness. I had sliced a piece off and cooked it up. After tasting it I let them dry for two days. then they were smoked. I had used all apple wood. I think I might have used a little to much but I think they came out great. That was the best bacon I had ever tasted and my friends too.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Kyle

Back