New guy from eastern WA

jkruger

Hello Everyone,

I've enjoyed reading the forums for a while and decided I better join.

I've been a diehard Weber kettle grill guy for years and years. My current Weber kettle is a Performer Platinum that I've had for quite a few years. I've also owned several of the plain Weber kettles and loved every one of them. I enjoy everything about cooking with charcoal, the prep, tending, and of course the food.

Though I've done quite a bit of smoking with my Kettle I've always had another dedicated smoker as well. My latest, an electric smoker, just died and replacement parts aren't readily available so I am doing what I should have done last time and getting a Smokey Mountain. I will start with an 18.5" since we are just a family of four, and I also have the kettle for bigger gatherings. I think having the combo of the kettle and Smokey Mountain will be ideal and I'm looking forward to it. This forum is obviously a heck of a great resource and I look forward to learning more and hopefully being able to contribute a bit.

Thanks for the welcomes guys! I just clicked on the link on the homepage here and ordered an 18.5" WSM from Amazon. I read about using the links to help support this website, which is really cool. We have been prime members for years and do a lot of biz with amazon and from now on we will get to amazon through the link here to help support the site.

After looking at what could be cooked on the 18.5" and already having a Performer I figured the 18.5" was a good place to start. It will be here Friday and I'll spend some time this weekend doing the proper break-in.

Looking forward to getting it somewhat seasoned and then doing some cooking with it.

Thanks for the welcomes guys! I just clicked on the link on the homepage here and ordered an 18.5" WSM from Amazon. I read about using the links to help support this website, which is really cool. We have been prime members for years and do a lot of biz with amazon and from now on we will get to amazon through the link here to help support the site.

After looking at what could be cooked on the 18.5" and already having a Performer I figured the 18.5" was a good place to start. It will be here Friday and I'll spend some time this weekend doing the proper break-in.

Looking forward to getting it somewhat seasoned and then doing some cooking with it.

Congrats on your purchase! You are going to love that cooker! What part of Eastern Washington are you from? I was born and raised in Central Washington, but have been down here for the past 9 years.

Congrats on your purchase! You are going to love that cooker! What part of Eastern Washington are you from? I was born and raised in Central Washington, but have been down here for the past 9 years.

I live in the Kennewick area. I have spent a little bit of time in the south. You guys have some amazing food down there. I was especially a big fan of barbeque slaw in N.C.

Welcome!!
Formerly from Yakima, now live in the rain belt of western Washington.
Know you will enjoy this site and all of the posts and recipes and folks here...
Envy your weather.

I live in the Kennewick area. I have spent a little bit of time in the south. You guys have some amazing food down there. I was especially a big fan of barbeque slaw in N.C.

I know that area really well since I am originally from Moses Lake. Yep, the food is amazing here, but in reality it's not the area, it's how you prepare and cook it. Just look at some of the photos in the gallery and see
where everyone is living. Again, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the "greatest smoke on earth"! Great choice on the 18.5" WSM... that's what I have and I've never put the lower grate in!

I'm also a former Washingtonian... Camas for 14 years and Vancouver USA for 3 years. Moved to AZ to scrape the moss off my north side (very carefully!)....

Quite a few Washingtonians and former Washingtonians here. I actually still consider myself an Alaskan as that is where I spent most of my life.

You are right about some mouth watering food on this site. I am really enjoying the recipe's and pictures.

Back