Charcoal Bowl Mods.?

Nick Cosby

TVWBB Fan
I have read posts and seen pictures of fellow smokers attaching controllers/gauges to the charcoal bowl damper(s) and have a blower or fan on them as well. My question is, is this part of temperature control, and if so can I see an image of this attached. Do the blowers/fans go into each damper or just one, which I recently read on someones post, which to me doesn't make sense?

Its part of a ATC and usually goes on just one vent in the bottom and the others are closed off. The fan forces plenty of air in the system to regulate temps. Plenty of people here use them and I`m sure they will post or link to pictures. You can also look in the ATC forum for more info.

You can look at this video on the install of one for a better idea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bwOUjFgLyE

Last edited:
I used the IQ110 on my 18.5 WSM. I think it cooked better without it.

From the what I've seen it would be better to cook without one as well. My theory is that the coals closest to the blower would get hotter then the others and that would cause uneven cooking, based on what I have seen how it works, now if the blower were routed to each damper and adjusted to run as connected then I might possibly consider one.

I start my fire opposite the blower and have not had any problems. Agreed that it does well without, but the ATC and it's alarms allow me a little extra sleep

I recommend you go to BBQ guru, Stoker, Auber, or Pitmaster iQ web sites to see the method used to connect to the cooker. There are detailed install instructions and photos on their sites. I don't do competitions so I've gone naturally aspirated myself. I build a clean burning fire, set the vents, and sleep like a baby on over night cooks.

I recommend you go to BBQ guru, Stoker, Auber, or Pitmaster iQ web sites to see the method used to connect to the cooker. There are detailed install instructions and photos on their sites. I don't do competitions so I've gone naturally aspirated myself. I build a clean burning fire, set the vents, and sleep like a baby on over night cooks.

I can agree on going NA vs. Control/Forced Induction for cooking there just seems to be something not right about letting a machine run your grill.

Back