Love my new WSM!!!!!!

Boris S

I have been smoking for a while and this season finally decided to get serious about it. I have had crappy ofset smokers, a small brinkman smoke n' grill and finally broke down and down and bought a 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain cooker due to all of the great reviews and mostly because of this site.... I got it earlier last week and have been reading every site I could find about different techniques, and on modifications and the such. The only modification I have made so far is adding a thermometer to the chamber right below the top pan.

Had a few people coming over this weekend so rubbed up 2 5lb butts (guesstimating as they were about 6.2 prior to fat removal). Filled the chamber with 1 layer charcoal 1 layer apple chips, 1 layer charcoal 1 layer mesquite chips another layer of charcoal to almost overflowing. Topped off with a bunch of hickory chunks all over the top.. Used the minion method with the weber chimney and lit about 40 or so briquets as directed here... Full Pan of Hot tap water..

Started around 10:30PM with all 3 bottom vents at 100%. Meat went in around 10:45. The temp had spiked to about 300 but came down to 265. I turned down the vents to 25% and used the cardboard box it came in as insulation around the entire unit as it was ridiculously windy and I got the idea from an article on this site.

Checked the temp at 11:30 and the lid was at 245 (2nd thermometer was at 235).. Good to go...
Next Check was at 12:30 and the temp was steady...

I had gotten the idea on another site to smoke a couple of fatties for the party so I started making them in the meantime.. In my previous experience I had to wake up every hour or so to add wood and charcoal, so was ready for a long night.

Checked at 1:30, temp is solid... Wow... No nursing the fire...hmmm.. Interesting... Meat temp was around 115 but I didn't fully trust it as I think I burnt out the probe the last time.. Figured in the morning I'll use my regular meat thermometer...

Around 2:30 I'm getting exhausted.... Last check... Temps are steady... wow.. Could it be?? Am I going to sleep tonight??? Set my alarm for 7 and hit the sack.... Woke up at 7:10 to the beeping of the meat thermometer.. Hmmm? ***? not posibile... I went out onto the deck... The temp on the lid was 240, the temp in the chamber 230.. I lift the top and grab my analog thermometer... Both Butts are in the 190 range, look great. As I am pulling them off meat is almost falling off.. Sprayed them with Apple Juice wrapped in foil, Towel and in the cooler they went. in the mean time closed the vents and went back to sleep for a bit. At around 12, its time to throw the fatties in... I add water, wood and another 80 briquets... Get the temp to 240 (cardboard box was mostly off except towards the last 2 hours as wind had picked up again...

1. Bacon Jalapeno Cheese burger</p>

The meat was a 50/50 mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck with Cumin, Salt, Pepper, Rosemary, Sage, Onion Powder, Chili pepper and a little worcestershire sauce

Filling consisted of 1 Package applewood Bacon cooked to a crisp, then thrown into a food processor with 1/2 brick sharp cheddar, 1/2 a brick Pepper Jack, 1/2 cup Cream Cheese and 1 full jalapeno with seeds removed

The Exterior was rubbed in the same mixture that was mixed into the meat with a package of Applewood bacon for the wrapping

2. Beef with slow cooked curry spinach with Goat Cheese

The meat was a 50/50 mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck with Salt, Pepper, Sage, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Oregano and Basil

Filling consisted of 2 Packages of Frozen Chopped spinach that was sauteed in pan that had 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup corn oil, curry powder, coriander, cumin, chili pepper. The spinach was sauteed for about 2 1/2 hours over low heat and then cubes of the goat cheese were added and cooked for another 1/2 hour.

The Exterior was also rubbed in the same mixture as used in the meat

3. Italian Stallion (Might of been my favorite)</p>

The meat was ground pork mixed with 1 package dry italian dressing mix, salt, rosemary, sage, garlic powder, onion powder and Oregano

Filling consisted a layer of olives/feta that were ran through a food processor with a little bit of oil (my tapenade mixture). Then I added 3 slices of mortadella, 3 slices of Italian salami, 3 slices of capicola. One layer of Provolone Cheese, another layer of Mortadella, salami and capicola.</p>

The Exterior was then rubbed in the same mixture minus the italian dressing then wrapped in Pancetta

Sorry for the pics as some were with my phone and some with my small p&s.. And no I'm not sharing my rub recipe
icon_smile.gif

4984730566_52922a3d16.jpg

4984133193_30e6f897a4.jpg

4984741456_b2200fa5e6.jpg

4984140031_8de3ecf553.jpg

4984784581_ff43c5b252.jpg

And Now the Fatties....

4984742818_8193789f70.jpg

4984146361_161a257858.jpg

4984781645_18a1dbffe1.jpg

4984782863_a0c6435032.jpg

4984785183_ba7bf75fe5.jpg

4984786789_97e9202bee.jpg

4984756260_929060693b.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Filling consisted a layer of olives/feta that were ran through a food processor with a little bit of oil (my tapenade mixture). Then I added 3 slices of mortadella, 3 slices of Italian salami, 3 slices of capicola. One layer of Provolone Cheese, another layer of Mortadella, salami and capicola. </p>

The Exterior was then rubbed in the same mixture minus the Italian dressing then wrapped in Pancetta </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1st Welcome to the forum Boris.
2nd Thats a heck of a first post, Nice job
3rd Where do you live? If your close enough, I won't have to steal your Italian Fatty recipe, I'll grab some cold beverages and just swing by and share some of yours.
4th If your not close enough, consider it swiped.
Thanks for sharing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Filling consisted a layer of olives/feta that were ran through a food processor with a little bit of oil (my tapenade mixture). Then I added 3 slices of mortadella, 3 slices of Italian salami, 3 slices of capicola. One layer of Provolone Cheese, another layer of Mortadella, salami and capicola. </p>

The Exterior was then rubbed in the same mixture minus the Italian dressing then wrapped in Pancetta </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1st Welcome to the forum Boris.
2nd Thats a heck of a first post, Nice job
3rd Where do you live? If your close enough, I won't have to steal your Italian Fatty recipe, I'll grab some cold beverages and just swing by and share some of yours.
4th If your not close enough, consider it swiped.
Thanks for sharing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol.. Thanks Mac... I'm in NYC, so your more than welcome to come over... going to try a few more variations this weekend.... If not enjoy the swipe
icon_wink.gif
I'd give details on the ratios but I just grab a ziplock and throw enough in for taste in terms of the spice mix.

Lets just' say this site had motivated me to give up this every hour...
4942302404_b4595ae5e4.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Impressive first post. Everything looks great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John...

Boris, Welcome to the group. It looks like your contributions will be greatly appreciated. First cooks like that are a big success! Nice pics and complete descriptions are always welcome, well almost complete, Now the recipe for that rub was ????????????

Mark

Back