Brisket and Pickles

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I love this time of year at the farmers market where one stand has huge bunches of dill and the next stand has tiny cucumbers. Its not complicated figuring out what your supposed to do... make pickles...and serve them with a side of brisket!

IMG_2824.jpg

This was the first time buying a brisket from a new source (all my previous briskets came from someone else), and the first time trying out my injection recipe. Accounting for both the better quality of the meat and the injection, this was the moistest most tender brisket I've produced yet.

J,
you've definitely got something good going in your kitchen.

Are those refrigerator pickles or the more traditional kind?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are those refrigerator pickles or the more traditional kind? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose they are refrigerator pickles. I use the recipe out of the dinosaur bbq book. the brine is mostly vinegar.

The downside is that they have a bit of a harsh vinegar bite, the upside is that they are pretty sour in 24 hours and still retain their crispness.

I never really thought much about the difference until we made this batch. The good pickles we get in nyc are clearly fermented and soured with lactic acid and have a different acidic note.

The recipe calls for jalapenos which make the recipe, however my 5 yr old was helping me with this project and I wanted to make sure she enjoyed them too.

Awesome Jay! Two of my absolute favorites. BBQ and home made pickles. I can't wait to make some myself.

J,
What would you attribute that great smoke ring too? Your fuel, wood, rub or maybe preparation method? I don’t seem to get anything like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
... and the first time trying out my injection recipe. Accounting for both the better quality of the meat and the injection, this was the moistest most tender brisket I've produced yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mouthwatering pic, there J! What is your injection recipe? Did I miss that post? Was this a high-heat or low-slow cook?

I hope to do a high-heat brisket this weekend - it has been months since I did one - but I am looking for a better brisket supplier; my local store doesn't seem to carry packers in cryovac anymore and I have asked. I think they trim them all down to skinny, pitiful-looking flats so they can charge more for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't understand why Pickles and BBQ go together. Seems like an out of whack combination to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sweet, sour, salty, meaty...its all good. we don't discriminate at the door to this party.

in fact today I just found that peaches and chipotles play extremely well with each other.

lighten up...its only food.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What would you attribute that great smoke ring too? Your fuel, wood, rub or maybe preparation method? I don’t seem to get anything like that.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually I thought this one wasn't as deep as past brisket rings. Which I attributed to the fact that I rubbed her and went to get the wsm ready and discovered I needed to clean the grate.
icon_rolleyes.gif
It took longer than normal to get her on, and I feared she got warm on me.

the magic of smoke rings happens through proteins which don't like heat. I try to start my meat as cold as possible and slowly ramp up my temps for the first 1-2 hours. But it all depends, its one variable that I'm not focused on much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What is your injection recipe? Did I miss that post? Was this a high-heat or low-slow cook?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so far I'm exclusively a HH brisket man. It worked the first time so I don't see much need to change. I suppose someday, when I'm really bored. I'll see if an extra 12 hours cooking a brisket is worth it.

my brine is currently a mix of salt, sugar and phosphates. One of these days I'll figure out the percent solution, but for now its just a weight by volume.

I'm working on the flavor additions. The goal is to boost the "beefness" that the silly kcbs judges crave. This batch of inject had a small amount of a product that was meant to be a steak sauce that was practically pure hydrolyzed yeast extract (but the label claims "no MSG"
icon_confused.gif
) with the highly desirable and extremely powerful flavor enhancers: disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. It had caramel coloring too, which I was hoping to avoid, as you can see the beef has a mottled color to it.

Hey J,

Those Pickles look great. Can you post the recipe and the process of making the pickles also. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Those Pickles look great. Can you post the recipe and the process of making the pickles also. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dinosaur Bbq Garlic Dill Pickles

Back