Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked Coon

TVWBB Member
    They have a big "coon supper" here in Arkansas, I believe it's in Gillette. It's a big deal and a favorite of all the politicians running for office. If you want votes from that neck of the woods you have to eat some coon and drink some cheap beer. I tried coon once and wasn't too fond of it. I had a guy tell me he had ate oppossum and thought it was pretty good til he found out "how they make their living".

TVWBB Fan
    Im a local boy born and raised in the Smokies. Great Grandmother born in the 18th century cooked squirrel + dumplings every sunday that were fantastic. Asked her about coon one day and said she wouldn't touch the stuff. She said anything that lived on trash tasted like trash. Wouldnt touch possum either. Gotta admit it makes some sense- she cooked wild game 80+ years can't discount experience right?

Also cooked rattlesnake on occasion, loved it but it was probably just the heavy spicing and just the idea of eatting rattlesnake.

I don't know about eating squirrel and raccoon. Up here in NJ we usually just run 'em over with the car.

TVWBB Member
    And like hogs or cattle, an old boar coon wont taste as good as a younger one. as for around here. the coons dont live off garbage cans, the ones by my house lived on my chickens this past year. still wont eat one.
    When you come to a fork in the road.....Take it.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I checked a 1931, 1936, and 1943 Joy of Cooking and no Racoon in the index, and I checked the game chapter. Squab, rabbit, pigs feet, and wild duck, yes. Racoon, no. So unless somebody can give me a page # I'm saying somebody just made that bit up.

(The 1943 edition's cool by the way - there's a lot of wartime rationing/substitution stuff they removed in the post-war edition)

TVWBB Guru
    My brother-in-law used to hunt coon and he took the meat in and had sausage and hotdogs made. I did try some it was unique and very greasy. I didn't ask for seconds.
    That place is so busy nobody goes there anymore - Yogi Berra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12