My take on sushi, BBQ style

Scott P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I was eating some sushi rolls the other day and wondered how they would translate to my BBQ hobby. So, i made some Uramaki Style (Inside Out Rolls) using three meats and three peppers. This is version 1.1 as I wasn't too sure how well it would work. I am still experimenting as I nail down the best combo of ingredients. I've gotten great reviews from my tasting panel (neighbors), so I think I'm on the right track. It is a variant of a fatty, but a little smaller and modeled after the previously mentioned sushi.

The rolls:

IMG_1816.jpg

I used pork breakfast sausage for the outside (sushi rice), roasted hatch chilies and bacon as the nori and a halved breakfast sausage link with slices of poblano and red jalapenos for the filling.

The taste is great and not over-powering in the heat department. I need to try a thick slice bacon and different meats in the center. I'm thinking shrimp, smoked sausage, backstrap and even gator meat if I can find it. I also need to get a little better at forming the rolls to maintain the look of a sushi roll.

That's really clever! I wish hatch chiles were easy to come by around here. How did you roll it - with a sushi mat?

I did some Italian Sushi for a Christmas or New Years party a few years back but my post doesn't seem to be in the Photo Gallery any longer. Mine was proscuitto for the wrapper, orzo in place of rice, grill-roasted red and green peppers, hot Italian sausage and smoked mozzarella. Here's a shot of it, maybe it will give you some more ideas.

4647901b.jpg

I tried a couple other combos this weekend:

IMG_1818.jpg

On the left is Chipotle Flavored Breakfast Sausage with Roasted Hatch Chilies, Thick Cut Bacon, Red Bell Pepper, Poblano Pepper and Shrimp. On the right, the shrimp has been replaced with Pork and Venison Smoked Sausage. I have learned that you can';t stuff too much in there as it gets very tough to roll while not losing the contents. I did not apply a glaze to the outside and it was noticeable. My testers seem to prefer the glaze for the sweetness it adds.

In a surprise to me, the shrimp did not work well in this combo. I don't know if it was a texture thing or just the way it tasted with the pork sausage. The thin cut bacon also seemed to work better as they felt they got more bacon taste out of the thinner stuff. I tried to find the package with more meat than fat. I think I am on the right track with this idea. I just need to finalize the components for the best overall flavor. I probably should document with photos the entire process too as my Facebook folks are clamoring for a recipe. I do use a sushi mat to make the rolls to keep them tight and well formed.

I like those Italian Rolls. How well did they hold together?

Back