Does Cajun Bandit SS Door for 22" WSM correct Weber design flaw?

Neil R.

TVWBB Fan
Purchased a 22" a couple of weeks ago and my first observation was that the design of the fire door leaves a rectangular air hole on each side of the door. I called Weber and they sent me a replacement door....same flaw.

I use a stoker so air holes do matter.

I've been looking at the threads about the Cajun doors but didn't notice anyone whether these SS doors correct the design flaw.

I've looked at mods to correct. Right now I have aluminum foil stuck in the corners.

Can anyone help?

I have a cajun bandit door on each of my 4 WSMs and there are no visible holes. The stainless steel also provides much better insulation. Since changing to the CB doors, I never really see any smoke coming out from that area. As you can tell, I highly recommend the CB door.

Thanks for the info, Robert.

I'm surprised that Weber, a company with an outstanding reputation, would allow that flaw to reach production without correction.

Oh well, I'm trying the big boy tonight, overnighter.

Originally posted by Neil R.:
I'm surprised that Webber, a company with an outstanding reputation, would allow that flaw to reach production without correction.
Interesting read about the design here from a former Weber engineer that worked on the 22.5" WSM project. Read Mike's reply linked here, then read his next three replies in the thread. You'll learn not only about the ill-fitting door, but why the 22.5" has rounded corners in the access door opening...something they changed from the original design.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...111027606#6111027606

Regards,
Chris

I think the "design flaw" is over rated. My 22 1/2" WSM door does leak a bit, but not enough to affect performance in any noticeable way (at least that I can tell).

Bob

Originally posted by Bob Mann:
I think the "design flaw" is over rated.
But back to the original post...the flaw matters to Neil because he's trying to make the unit as airtight as possible for use with an automatic temp control system.

If you're not in his shoes, then the only consequence of a door that's not airtight might be you can't extinguish the fire by closing all the vents.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks to everyone for their input and especially to Chris for his link to the other thread. Interesting.

Purchased a SS door today so I'll have it for my next smoke.

Butts have been on since last night at 8 pm. Had to refuel about an hour ago. I originally put about 10 lbs. of lump in to start the smoke. This big boy uses quite a bit of fuel.

Received my Cajun SS Door yesterday and installed it this morning. PERFECT fit and in time for smoking ribs today.

Pssssttt....Weber....buy ya one and copy it. I won't tell.

Neil, I guess you got one of the last ones, they are now sold out for the 22". I decided to go ahead and get one myself, tired of stuffing foil around the edge of the door. I hope they restock soon.

Back