Dr BBQ Championship Ribs - Cooks at 275 Degrees

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
I have have been cooking baby back ribs since I started with the WSM cooker about a year ago. I want to move on a bit and try spare ribs.

I have sucessfully used Dr BBQ's (Ray Lampe) Championship Ribs recipe from his book (pg 89) for the BB ribs, but kept the pit temp at about 225.

His recipe for spares sets the pit temp at 275 degrees. The ribs are cooked for 2 hours meat side up for 2 hours then are flipped for another hour. He then foils the ribs for another 1 1/2 hours. After un-foiling, her raises the pit temp to 350, applies a glaze and flips several time for about 20 minutes. Total cooking time is about 5 hours.

I have a new BBQ Guru with the 10 CFM fan, so it would be very easy for me uses his temerature recommendations.

My question is -- has anyone tried Ray's recipe or have they cooked spares at 275 degrees for about 5 hours with good results.

John

I've done spares at 275 lid temps before. Didn't have any issues with the end results. I didn't do all the flippin and floppin that you described, but it sure wouldn't hurt them to do it.
icon_wink.gif

I should mention that my Spares were trimmed also.

Ditto. I cook spares at higher temps all the time. Though I foil (much later in the process) I do none of the flipping and if I glaze it's a thin veneer and takes all of 2 min to set. Temps are 300+ at finish but I do not shoot for a specific number. Give it a shot.

John,

I've used that Dr.BBQ recipie several times and the ribs have been wonderful every time.

I've found that the amount of time needed in the foil really depends on how close you keep the temps at 275. If you can keep the temps there through the entire process it usualy only takes 1 hr in the foil. If you run into some wind or other issues like I have a few time and the temps are closer to 250, then 1.5 hrs in foil is needed. Unless you are going for falling off the bone ribs, then more time in the foil.

I usually use water in the pan, and therefor can't get to 350 in the smoker so I do the glaze on my kettle. With your guru you should be able to do it all in the smoker no problem. Just be careful when you unfoil. Alot of hot steam and liquid in that foil. Alot of flavor there to though. I just need to figure out how to use it next.

Kirk

Found that spares don't seem to benefit from a lower temp. I tried it both ways and liked the higher temp ones better. I don't sauce ribs on the pit,though. This IS Texas so dry ribs are a cultural thing. I put a small pitcher of warm sauce on the table for people if they want it.

I do spares at a lid temp of 230 for about 6-7 hours. Come out great. I trim to Kansas City. I then take them to a hot kettle and glaze over high heat.

Back