Wood Chips versus Wood Shavings

Todd Finchler

TVWBB Member
Long time reader, first time poster.

Just ordered 6 different flavors of "wood chips/shavings" off of eBay. Opened the box - pretty much all shavings, no chips. Does it matter whether I use shavings - provided that I am using the right quantity/mixture of woods? Does anyone have a preference of (from largest to smallest) chunks, chips or shavings?

Thanks, in advance.

Chunks are by far the most convenient, since they can be merely thrown on top of the coals and let go about their business. Mixing, matching, and quantity can be determined by recommendation or trial and error. In the WSM, a total 4-6 of any average fist-sized chunks is usually considered sufficient.

Chips/shavings, I think, are terms used subjectively to describe pretty much the same thing, perhaps with some slight variations-- depends on who's doing the describing. Insofar as using them in BBQ, in most cases, they'll need to be soaked and enclosed in a HD foil pouch perforated with only one or two holes in order to produce smoke for any appreciable length of time.

Chunks of fruit wood are hard to find in my area. I always pick up chips. Never soaked them until I read your post. How long should they be soaked?

A half hour or so soaking would be plenty, but it's optional. The aim is only to slow combustion. If your HD foil pouch is sealed tightly, and you make only one or two small holes, the chips should be oxygen-starved enough that they will just smolder rather than be consumed rapidly.

BBQr's Delight pellets are excellent. I am not at all affiliated with them, but they have helped me win me four awards in two competitions. No soaking, no mess, no BS...

John

Back