GrillGrates

Frank F

Anyone use GrillGrates, and if so, do you like them, are they needed, or even work better than my cast iron grids that came with my Weber? Thanks,
Frank

GrillGrates are nice in that they get really hot, they work like a heat sink. I don't know if they perform better than cast iron but I know for fragile stuff they work great.

Grillgrates work as advertized! My old SAM's club grill cooked uneven, the grillgrates made such an improvement with even heat distribution across the whole surface. They do work!

I thought they looked like a gimmick, but when I saw them in action, I sprung for them and they are the real deal! My cast iron grates got kicked to the curb!

Brian, i'm guessing you replaced your cast iron grates for the grillgrates? I guess you can put them on top of the org. grates although I don't know why one would want to.

Frank

I use them on my Q300 and 330, as well on my performer. The grill marks are "grate" on steaks, burgers, salmon, and chicken wings and legs. No flair-up. When they get too crusty, I just soak them in the sink and take a steel pad to them to clean them up. I highly recommend them!!

Grillgrates are worth the $$$. I purchased 3 of them two weeks ago and am now ordering the 4th one to cover my Weber Summit.

They just about eliminate flare up and a good example is when you do Roadside Chicken cooking and basting over direct heat the whole time. They are also perfect for steaks.

A little harder to clean than regular grates, but not a big deal. I got the 17 3/8 size to cover my grill from front to back and the only downside is that when you scrape to clean there is nowhere to push the char. I just lift the grates and angle them.

By getting the full size front to back I was able to eliminate the grates that came with the Weber.
Good Luck.

Brian, on the GrillGrates site they only show them on top of the org. grates. I'm wondering why, or maybe i'm missing something? Also, it seems to be cheaper to buy two kits if you want four grates.

Frank

Frank, you've already gotten great responses about GrillGrates, and if Brian gives the thumbs up, that says a heckuva lot right there. For what it's worth, I'll add my $0.02...

I've been using GrillGrates on my gasser for over a year now, just sitting on top of my stainless grates. I absolutely LOVE them, and I'm not just saying that - they give me much better grill marks than I was getting with my regular grates, they seem to give me a larger "window" for when stuff is cooked perfect before it becomes overcooked, and you don't lose stuff down into the grill (e.g. asparagus). Like Mark pointed out, they even out the cooking surface to minimize unwanted hot/cold spots. I like them so much that I just ordered a set to replace my stainless grates directly (not sit on top). I'm told they will get hotter faster when used directly and not sitting on top of other grates. That increased efficiency means I'll need less gas for preheat AND for cooking (b/c the heat can be lower). I completely agree with others here, they're the real deal and worth the $$. -Mickey.

Thank you to our Grrrrrrate Customers and thank you Chris for TVWBB. By all means buy from Amazon to help support TVWBB! Happy Father's Day guys!

Brad
Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
If you're so inclined, you can purchase GrillGrates at Amazon.com and help support TVWBB in the process.

Regards,
Chris

Nice call, J Boldt, with that comparison of GrillGrates vs Cast Iron! Just assumed it was a personal preference thing, but that comparison raises interesting issues I overlooked. Completely agree with the conclusion though - having used both. -Mickey.

I got 3 for christmas and just bought a 4th for father's day
icon_smile.gif
(excuses, excuses).
7380804250_03fe9e3589.jpg

In addition to all the benefits already discussed, something that I think will also help on a gas grill is less wear and tear on the parts below with less to drop down on them.

Interesting point about less wear-and-tear. I hadn't thought of that. The GrillGrates have "saved" many pieces of food that otherwise would have gone down into the grill after slipping off the grates. Another thing I forgot to mention is you can put wood chips/pellets b/t the raised rails and get some smoke flavor too. I could never get good smoke on my gas grill but I can now! Happy Father's Day everyone! -Mickey.

I'm guessing you can't use the wire chicken holders with grillgrates that hold 12 legs hanging? Anyone else here use wire holders for wings and legs? We are a bit lazy here, so using the wires I cook up 48 legs, or fewer leg/thigh combos, and freeze them. Makes for a quicker meal. Of course they might come out better laying directly on the grillgrates?

Frank

Originally posted by Frank F:
Brian, i'm guessing you replaced your cast iron grates for the grillgrates? I guess you can put them on top of the org. grates although I don't know why one would want to.

Frank

Hi Frank, Not sure of the Brian you asked, but perhaps this will help.

Replace with grillgrate

Also, on the price I didn't see a set of two for my size. Good luck

Back