GrillGrates

Thanks. I hope someone here can answer my question about doing chicken legs on wire holders using grillgrates. I have a feeling it can't be done, but maybe...

Frank

Frank, I'm having a little trouble visualizing what you mean about a wire holder for chicken legs. Can you post a pic? If you're thinking of a "rack" (like Mr Lampe sometimes uses), then I don't see why you couldn't use it on top of the GrillGrates just like you previously used them on regular grates. In my experience with GrillGrates, you can do anything on them that you can do on regular grates - only better. HTH. -Mickey.

Mickey, the wire rack is made by thebayou.com, and you can see them at: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Cl...g-Rack/dp/B0009KF3QC
Using them on top a regular grate, the heat comes right up through the openings in the grate, and the grillgrates I would think would stop that direct heating action. Maybe the folks that make grillgrates will look at the link and comment if the chicken leg holder would work without leaving it on the grates for more than 45 min. The legs/wings are hanging on the wire rack without touching the grate.

Frank

Frank, those are the "racks" that Mr Lampe uses sometimes, so thanks for clarifying - now we're talking about the same thing. I still think they would work on the GrillGrates (GG). The GG's seem to act like a heat sink or heat absorber, so they got quite hot and radiate heat. If the chicken rack is above them with legs hanging down, I'm completely confident the legs would get roasted just as much as if they were hanging down over the original grates. I understand your thought that the original grates would let the heat come straight through to the hanging legs, and your concern that the GG's would "trap" the heat underneath - those are very logical thoughts. But my honest experience (and I have no ties to the GG company) is that the GG's would radiate the heat to the hanging legs just as well (if not better and more evenly) than the original grates. As Mark R mentioned, there is a Groupon special on the GG's (the smaller size which sits on top of your original grates) which is a pretty good deal if you want to try 'em. I wouldn't post this if I didn't believe it, but I think you'd be happy with them. I used mine for about a year and was so happy with my "over the original grate" ones that I bought a set of the "replace your original grates". I wouldn't hesitate to use them just like any original grill grate. If there's any further insight I can provide, please let me know - this happens to be something I've had plenty of experience with. -Mickey.

Thanks for checking Mickey. Seems like I read somewhere the gg's won't work for chicken holders, but maybe that only pertains to whole chickens.

Like I said, if the grillgrate man will explain this matter, we will all know for sure. When I do get the gg's, it will be to replace my cast iron grates that came on my 15 yr. old weber gas, and never had to replace one part except the temp gage. Try that on the cheapies!

Most all of my bbqing is with the wire chicken leg/wing holders, although I would like to try a butterflied turky with the gg's. If you haven't tried the wire holders, you should try them on your gg's and report back to me. Ha!

No, really, order some, and you might be surprised how well they work/taste. I bought 4 for about 6 bucks each from lowes a few years back, and chicken comes out better than cooking parts directly on my grate. A lot better...

Frank

Frank,

Absolutely use on GrillGrates- for a couple of reasons. GG will act as a flame shield so drippings won't cause flareups or inferno. You can set your watch and grill. 2nd the drippings will hit in the valleys of the GG and sizzle and steam which pops flavor and moisture back to the chicken- and I expect the radiant heat from GG will help crisp up the skin too.

Brad

Thanks Brad. The crisp and golden brown thing is important to me, so maybe you can order a few wire leg holders, try it on your own weber, and report back with some pics?

With my weber I tried shoving 4 racks (48 legs) to the front of the grill, and only turned on the front burner, and after an hour at 350 the legs didn't have the golden brown thing, and they were not even done. At 350 with the center burner off, they come out gold and done in 45 min. With all the burners on lower heat they come out best.

Strange how about the same temp. will not brown or even get them done completely without direct or simi direct heat. When all burners are on you have to keep an eye on things or it's flmes away!

Frank

Frank, there's no doubt that Brad explains it better than me - he's the owner of the GrillGrate company! The wire racks would definitely work on the GG's, and I might try that. I've had good success with pre-heated GG's, sear chicken for grill marks, then move to indirect to finish on lower heat. My gang sometimes likes 'em sauced up after that so I just toss the chicken in a bowl with the sauce until coated. If it's a sauce that needs to be "baked" on, I just use foil on the GG's with low heat and let 'em bake for a little longer. There's less mess that way with sauce getting all over the place. Just a thought...

Thanks for the grilling tip Mickey. What kind of sauce needs to be baked on? Are you talking sauce like stubs etc.? I usually don't use it as I need to drop about 40, but sometimes I get weak and induldge. Sometimes I use the wire holders on my weber charcoal, cook indirect, lots of hicory chips, and just pig out! Could that be why I need to drop 40lbs. and my wife yelling at me to stop eating so much? Hmm...

Frank

Isn't there an old BBQ saying that goes, "Never trust a skinny cook"? Well, Frank, I pride myself in being trustworthy.
icon_wink.gif

Seriously, about the "baked on sauce" matter, I think I could have worded that better b/c it's more a "preference" thing than a "necessity" thing. The sauces I was thinking of include Buffalo Hot Wing Sauce, Roadside sauce (as many on this forum have discussed), Steve Petrone's #5 sauce, and even regular BBQ sauce (like Stubbs). The grill is like an outdoor oven (but with more versatility), so putting down some foil under the sauced chicken, then shutting the grill lid for about 10 minutes or so, and the sauce is more sticky instead of drippy. You can put the sauced chicken directly on the GG's, but I think it makes more of a mess than is necessary.

Another thing I should mention is that I use my GG's on the charcoal Weber too (not just the gasser). Now that I've replaced my gasser's grates with the full length GG's, I just use my old ones in the charcoal grill (i.e. the GG's that used to sit on top of my gasser grates now sit on top of the grates in my charcoal Weber). I just don't put them over flaming hot coals, but once the coals have grayed over a bit, they're fine. I love these GG's.

Originally posted by Brian M.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank F:
Brian, i'm guessing you replaced your cast iron grates for the grillgrates? I guess you can put them on top of the org. grates although I don't know why one would want to.

Frank

Hi Frank, Not sure of the Brian you asked, but perhaps this will help.

Replace with grillgrate

Also, on the price I didn't see a set of two for my size. Good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How would one go about cutting those? Just a hacksaw? It doesn't seem that the grates would fit my genesis e-310 without some modification. Any ideas?

Hi Shane,

If they don't sell your size just email or call them and they will tell you how they can be cut or perhaps they will cut them. They give great customer service.

I'm sure you could use a power saw and a carbide tipped blade, but please check with Brad.

Good Luck

Back