How Many Use "Other" Smoker/Cookers

Dave Hutson

TVWBB Super Fan
Guys/Gals, I bought a WSM because it offers me the option to cook on something SMALL! I own an offset trailer pit that can cook for 450 people and it is not practical for the family. How many of you cook on larger cookers in addition to the WSM?

I cook on larger smokers as well as smaller and even similar sized products to the WSM.

I gravitated to the WSM a few years back after many years of fighting and modifying ECBs and clones. I even went so far as mounting 2 high pressure burners (turkey fryer type) on an old gas grill frame and then mounting an ECB on top of one of the burners for a propane conversion. Worked pretty well, but still. I discovered this site some years back and spent months reading all content before taking the plunge. The prevalent wisdom/saying is that you'll only cry once as applicable to WSM purchase. I've found that advice to be spot on. One of the biggest factors in my decision was the compatibility of the WSM's middle section with the 18 1/2" OTG and Platinum grills. I'm 6'5" with a pair of totally shot football knees so elimination of kneeling to add wood, tend fire, etc. was appealing to me. I was too late to score on a new Platinum so I pulled the same trick by mounting an 18 1/2" OTG to an old gas grill frame and voila...instant versatility and no more kneeling. I have never even used the stock WSM bottom, believe it or not.

Just got my WSM last spring and never really thought about its compatiblity with 18.5" kettle.

I have two 18.5" kettles. Scored one at garage sale last month for $15.

Any advantages other than the kneeling to using the 18.5 kettle bottom?

Just curious. I like when I see others thinking outside the kettle!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any advantages other than the kneeling to using the 18.5 kettle bottom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet! Here's a few
1. Having a side burner. I left it on the old cart figuring it would see good use as a charcoal starter. I took the easy route and changed the dual regulator to a single and left it hooked to a 20lb propane tank. You could also convert to a disposable 1lb propane cylinder if desired.

2. Having a work table. Priceless.

3. It's just the right height for a tall guy to avoid getting the smoke blast right in the face when removing the door and fire maintenance.

4. It's mobile as they come on wheels.

5. Ash disposal system with the OTG ash catcher. It's a breeze to dump ash during a cook and a good feature if you are on a deck. After use cleanup of the WSM is reduced also.

6. No bending over when loading or unloading WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Foreman:
...mounting an 18 1/2" OTG to an old gas grill frame ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, any photos of this mount job? I've been looking for a long time on craiglist for a 18 1/2" performer but haven't seen one. Lots of 18 1/2" silvers for sale as well as crappy old gas grills. Converting to a gold is easy, but would like to see the gas grill frame mount.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Aarseth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Foreman:
...mounting an 18 1/2" OTG to an old gas grill frame ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, any photos of this mount job? I've been looking for a long time on craiglist for a 18 1/2" performer but haven't seen one. Lots of 18 1/2" silvers for sale as well as crappy old gas grills. Converting to a gold is easy, but would like to see the gas grill frame mount. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eric,

No, not presently on the photos. I travel during the week but will try to get some taken when I'm home this weekend and post for you. I think I can easily explain the basic concept for you in the meantime. Please bear in mind that I'm a technician, as opposed to a fabricator. Obtain old gas grill (in my case I rescued one from curb in front of a neighor's house) and remove grill body, burner, propane plumbing, and side burner and/or shelf/shelves. You are left with a pretty rickety cart at this point. I cut two pieces of angle iron about 48" in length and spot welded them across the top of the existing grill frame for support. This will firm up the cart. Take the 18 1/2" OTG body, no legs, and set it on top of the angle iron. You may need to add two pieces of flat iron front to rear of the cart on either side of the OTG in order to have a total of 4 points to attach the OTG, one front, one rear, one left and one right side. I used L-brackets and bolts to attach and you will probably need to slightly bend the L-brackets to conform to the curve of the OTG body. Pay attention to your mounting points with respect to the OTG cleaning fins. I made this mistake and got lucky. Ideally, you'll want your mounting points to be high enough on the OTG bowl that the bolts/nuts do not interfere with the OTG cleaning system. When you settle on this, mark and drill holes then install bolts/nuts to mount the OTG bowl. I ground off the excess bolts on the inside of the bowl and here is where luck shined on me. The cleaning fins rode right over the nuts without interfering with their range of motion. A little more thought put into this detail would have saved me some worry but all was well ultimately. Once you are happy with this you can add a side shelf or shelves (I used an old large cutting board that volunteered for duty) and reinstall the side burner if equipped. If it does have a side burner, you'll need to at a minimum change out the regulator to a single and use a 20lb tank or you could even convert to a disposable propane cylinder if desired.

I did a couple of these a few years ago, one with a side burner and one without. The one without was my first attempt and a bit rough but completely functional. I still have it. The other with the side burner was coveted by a friend so I gave it to him as a housewarming present. About this time last year, I actually scored a Platinum NIB that might have actually been the last one offered by a retail outlet in the country. That is another story but it is what I primarily use now. I'll see if I can get some pictures taken and posted for you when I get back home, ut hopefully you get a general idea of what I did.

I'm sorry to be contributing to the highjacking of this thread, but this is a topic that I am sure has been discussed, but I've never seen it. This setup, especially the performer setup with a 18.5 kettle bottom sounds awesome. At 6'3", I'd much rather avoid the bending that goes along with tinkering, fueling, watering, checking food, etc. Pics would be appreciated by many, I suspect. I've never seen a 18.5 performer, but the 18.5 silver or gold standlone kettle would be second best I suppose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Hutson:
How many of you cook on larger cookers in addition to the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Have an old oil Drum from a furnace that I made into a pig roaster with grills so that I can use it as a BBQ as well, I have an old stainless sink from a dairy barn milk house that I have used in the past as well to cook on(not since I built the pig roaster though) My WSM and gas grill are just for my family cookouts. The local Pork Producers near here have a BBQ that I use on Canada Day each year to BBQ a smoked pork chop for 650 people or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'll see if I can get some pictures taken and posted for you when I get back home, ut hopefully you get a general idea of what I did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, I think I do understand what you did. Hope you have time to post photos.

Sorry to all, didn't intend to hijack the thread but I guess that's what I did.
icon_redface.gif

My apologies to all for my part in hijacking this thread as well. I got a little overly enthused.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Eric,

I'll start a fresh thread under WSM Modifications once I have some photos to post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I Have an old oil Drum from a furnace that I made into a pig roaster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Someone asked me the other day what the max size pig was that would fit into a drum smoker. I've only used one a few times and it's been a while, so I couldn't really imagine various pig sizes and how they'd fit. Do you know--or can you estimate--what the max size might be--while still getting good results and not having the cook end up a PITA?

I cook on WSM's, Big Drum Smoker clones, a Performer with rotisserie,Genesis gasser, Big Green Eggs, Imperial Kamado, Cookshack Smokette and a La Caja China.
I found most of the cookers cheap on craigslist from people that didn't have time to use them. I built the drum smokers and refurbish vintage Japanese Kamados as another hobby.
Its fun to cook on different pits, each one has its own characteristics.

Back