Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A Butt Rub (for Jane)

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Moritas are chipotles as well. Both will lend heat and a smoky flavor. YOu may wish to ease up on the smokewood a bit, and to use the same wood as was used to smoke the chilies (likely pecan) or a complementary wood (like a mild fruit wood). Moritas have a somewhat sweeter finish than chipotles mecos, the usually larger, brown chipotle.
    Kevin

Kevin. I used your rub yesterday on a couple of HH butts and fatties. Way over the top on the flavor, I will def make this again.
    Thank's
    Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Fan
    As always, I do not include salt in my rub mixtures.

I prefer to apply a nice even amount of Kosher salt to my meat, wait several minutes for the surface of the meat to become moist (often I salt first, then mix the rub while the meat sits), then apply the rub generously.
    Kevin, Just a quick question for you on your salt method. After letting the salt sit on the meat for several minutes, do you wipe it off and then put the dry rub on, or do you keep the salt on and add the rub on top of the salt layer? either way this is something I am going to try.
    Smokin' Hoggz BBQ
    2011 Jack Daniels World BBQ Champion
    18" WSM(2), 22.5 OTG, Weber Q, Weber Genesis EP 310, New Braunsfel Offset

TVWBB All-Star
    I have always left it on the meat.
    Jane

...and what do YOU smoke?

Weber Mastertouch 22", Weber Performer (Stainless) Touch 'N Go, WSM, Weber Genesis Silver A, Smokey Joe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Yes. The salt is applied to both salt the meat and to draw moisture to the surface. The moisture allows the rub to stick. Doing it this way means you can apply as much or as little rub as you want (for butts I apply the rub, wait again, then apply more, usually) without worrying about the salt level since the salt is not in the rub.

Short answer : it stays on.
    Kevin

Kevin or Jane, two questions:

Would you use this rub over mustard (plain yellow)?

Since mustard has salt (and since no need to draw moisture to help rub stick) would you omit salting the meat before the mustard and then Rub?

Bonus question : If I replace the Hot New Mex chile with regular new mex chile I'm assuming I'll achieve a similar flavor but less heat?
    Tight lines, sharp hooks.

WSM, 26" Gold, 22 1/2" OTIS (OTS upgraded to an OTG plus), Genesis 1, Go Anywhere Gas, Little Joe smoker and Mosquito Magnet (survival tool for backyard AK)

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    Would I? No. But, one, I don't use yellow mustard for anything and two, I don't see the point of bothering with applying mustard to the meat because I don't see any germane reason for doing so.

That said, you certainly could. I'd likely still salt the meat at least somewhat, but would probably just apply a little salt after applying the mustard at the same time I applied the rub. You could skip the salt addition, though, if you'd prefer.

Yes, if you replace the hotter NM chile with a milder NM chile the flavor profile will be pretty much the same, just less hot.
    Kevin

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest the only reason I was considering the mustard application was because Chris had it listed as one of several ways to make pulled pork. I've never tried so I tend to be sort of a try it and see for myself kind of person.

Jane's Rub will be used next weekend. Undecided on the mustard app. I've adopted the salt the meat, not the rub approach.

WSM, 26" Gold, 22 1/2" OTIS (OTS upgraded to an OTG plus), Genesis 1, Go Anywhere Gas, Little Joe smoker and Mosquito Magnet (survival tool for backyard AK)

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
    If you've not done the mustard thing you can certainly give it a try. It is mostly used to hold on the rub, not something I find necessary since I do the salt-first thing, but you could try it and see what you think.
    Kevin

I'm doing two next weekend so I will use mustard on one and salt the other and then apply Jane's rub to both. Theoritically there should be no difference b/c "everyone" says you can't taste the mustard. If that is true, then might as well use salt to draw moisture to hold the rub. If it isn't true, then i'll find out whether or not I like the taste mustard adds.

I'll post what happens in case someone cares.

EDIT: True blind taste test - by the time I had rested the butts and then pulled them, I forgot which was the mustard rubbed. Didn't matter, couldn't tell the difference. Jane's Butt Rub tasted great in the bark. I guess I can use the mustard application the next time I'm feeling Bluto'ish (Animal House reference for those old enough).

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast