Stuffing a fatty

Bob Hruska

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to try a cheese stuffed fatty next time I cook. From everyone's descriptions, it sounds yummy.
My question is, how exactly do you stuff the sausage? Do you flatten it out, put in the cheese, and roll it back up? Or do you burrow it out and shove the cheese in? Or something else?
They're probably all fine methods now that I think about it...but was wondering what everyone else does.

Hi Bob! That's how I do it! I mash if out so it is 1/2 inch or so thick, add the filling and then roll it back up. Cheese is good. Pepper Jack cheese and Poblano pepper slices is even better! I'm going to try cheese and bacon next week.

The first time I did a fatty I cut them in half then scooped out the middle a bit enough to put the cheese in.Slapped them together and put on the smoker til internal hit about 170. Wasn't too impressed with the results. Cheese kind of evaporated.Now, I just roll it in some rub or some rosemary and garlic stuff I got from Sams with chipotle pepper flakes. Bought some ground turkey meat that I'm going to try the same way. Will let you know how these come out.

I did a few fatties last week, and what I did on one of them was slice it roughly 75% through, then added Pepperjack, then fold the fatty closed and cooked. Cam eout awesome. Everyone liked it the best.

So I tried my first fatty this weekend while doing some ribs. I rolled it out flat, added some sliced pepper jack, and rolled it back up. Cooked it about 3.5 hours.

The taste was good (as I love sausage anyway) but I was not impressed with the cheese addition. It seemed like there was not enough, and it didn't really melt/flow - it just kinda sat in the middle and was mushy.

Did I not use enough? Should I shred it first? I'll be trying again this weekend and would like something to experiment with.

Bob, some people have stuffed it with peppers. For me , I had the same results as you.Now, I just roll them in some rub or seasoning that I've whipped up. I like them that way.

I tried my first fatty this weekend as well. Sliced about 75% down, put in 2 slices of pepperjack, and closed it back up and rolled in some rub. While it was good, I had the same problem where the cheese basically evaporated.

Ahhh, so many answers run through my mind for this question!
icon_biggrin.gif

Alas, we shall settle for the true answer. A fattie, in this context, is simply a roll of commercially-purchased breakfast sausage such as Jimmy Dean, Owens, etc. Unwrap it, roll it in your favorite rub, and throw it on the smoker in the shape in which it came for 2 to 3 hours, or until the internal temp in the very center is about 170. Simple, quick, and very tasty.

Keri C

I bought this Southwest Chipotle Seasoning at Sam's. If you like something that will REALLY get your attention, try rolling one in that.It's pretty hot and spicey.

I do not stuff my fatties, I use them as
stuffing for a good size omelette. Chop the fatty down into "bacon bit" sized pieces. Add them to your omelette along with diced
onion, cilantro,+ real bacon bits.

Bob when useing cheese you have to look for a specific type of cheese. I use cheese in summer sausage but I had to to buy special chedder cheese. I got it thru Butcher Packer. But it doesn't break down when your cooking. I used store bought cheese the first time and I was like jelly after. My friend the butcher explained it to me but that was 2 years ago. I bought 5 lbs of it instead of 1 lb now I have big old bag of it in the refridge that looks good as the day I got it. Been a year and half.

Back