Sweet and Sour Tomatoes (tomato salad)

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Popular in German households around the St Louis, MO area.
This is my version, adjust, and tweak for your tastes.
Use the type oil, vinegar, etc of your liking.
See footnote.

4 or 5 medium tomatoes
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
2 TBS. oil
sliced sweet onions
salt & pepper to taste

Chop tomatoes, slice onions.
Whisk other ingredients together.
Mix, and refrigerate for a couple of hours or more, stir a few times before serving.

Footnote:
Many folks add sliced cukes and/or green peppers.
Other possible add-ins:
Green onions, hot peppers, feta cheese, cilantro, basil, and so on.

You know I can't believe I waited 7 yrs to try this ( seen it, but never gave it a go ) This is as close to my Grandma Martha's recipe that I remember. I tried doing it from scratch many times, but it was either too sweet or sour.
This is right on.
Thanks Bob.

Tim

Glad you like it Tim.
I was thinking this morning, I haven't made any yet this year, I think I will today.

Bumping in case you have a bumper crop of tomatoes.
I'm making this again soon, a bunch of our tomatoes ripened at once.

This sounds really good, as written & with the add-ins.

I wondered what kind of vinegar would be best - I have white, apple cider, red wine, balsamic, & malt... of which, white is the one I'd try last, & I think I'd start with Malt.

This sounds really good, as written & with the add-ins.

I wondered what kind of vinegar would be best - I have white, apple cider, red wine, balsamic, & malt... of which, white is the one I'd try last, & I think I'd start with Malt.
I always go with apple cider for anything sweet/sour, like this recipe, German potato salad, and coleslaw.
I only use white to clean the coffee maker, and malt on fried fish.
But that's just me.

I always go with apple cider for anything sweet/sour, like this recipe, German potato salad, and coleslaw.
I only use white to clean the coffee maker, and malt on fried fish.
But that's just me.

That's it - I'm going to make this. Maybe I'll try half w/ acv & the other w/ malt vin, I'm not nearly as familiar w/ malt vinegar but it seems like a good fit for the potato salad & coleslaw :)

I saw this recipe yesterday got me in the mood....thinking it'll be my lunch:

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7126-roasted-salt-and-vinegar-potatoes

edit:>>>>>>>

have you posted a German potato salad? This one you posted looks good.......now I'm in the mood for that too!

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?53722-Bandana-s-Potato-Salad

edit x2:>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just made some home fries - went looking for my malt vinegar when I remembered Rice Wine Vinegar is what I've been using for < the last year. Good stuff (I <3 Rice wine vinegar). I started using RWV after trying & loving this salad dressing.

Last edited:
I haven't, my wife makes the GPS using her mother's recipe, I'll have to share it sometime.
Here's my German coleslaw:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?8634-Sweet-Sour-German-Coleslaw&highlight=german+coleslaw

Please do!

I made this last night - I used 10 tomatoes from the store, the kind that are still attached to the vine. There wasn't as nice of a variety as I'd have liked and I'll try it again with some hot house or local grown tomatoes.

I chopped them all about 3/4" dice, thought I'd leave the onions in slivers but I minced them after taking a bite (they had a bite) from the 1/2 large walla walla onion I used.

I used rice wine vinegar - polished the bottle off @ 1/4 cup, I added ~1T bragg acv & then a splash of balsamic. I added s&p, stirred, waited a few min & had a bowl, then I had another a couple hours later.

My cousin came over after we rode mtn bikes an hour ago & I got a "yeahthisisgood".

I got some feta crumbles & sprinkled them into ~3 bowls I've had of this stuff. I think slivered rings of jalapeno, or shrimp, really pretty much anything would go good in this (cauliflower?).... kalamata olives & feta would turn this into close enough of a greek salad.

Anyway, this is a good base, I hope to repeat it soon.

Next time I'll sliver the tomatoes instead of dice, & I'll leave ~2" matchsticks of onion, trusting they'll quickly mellow.

Glad you liked it.
I keep it simple, just tomatoes, Vidalia onions, sugar, AC vinegar, and oil. I can't tolerate most yellow, and some red, onions.

This morning's egg McBob was a hard boiled egg on toast with mayo and a slice of tomato.

Yep, but mines over easy.:)
And a twist of BP also.
Fried bologna with grilled onions, cheese topped with an egg and a slice of tomato is a close second on a sandwich.
But I'm getting OT.
Made a batch of your S&S tomatoes yesterday, good stuff!

Tim

Bump. Made this the other day and added a cuke, bell pepper and basil from the garden, so good!
Our tomatoes are growing good this year but this makes hot house maters taste edible.;)

Back