Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect Peanut Butter Pie

Going to give this a try this weekend.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    well, I have to say I just got around to trying this pie. I will always try making something instead of buying it so in regards to the crust, I made my own. With a twist

For a 8-9" crust, I would use ~24 oreo cookies ground up in the processor and add 1/4 cup unsalted butter to help firm it up. For variety, I made half and half chocolate oreo crust and vanilla oreo crust--a half moon of vanilla on one side and half moon chocolate oreo on the other. After tasting the end product, I prefer the vanilla as it seems to lend itself to the overall "vanilly-ness" of the pie.

Also, I abhor reese p.b. cups. The chocolate, well, it's not really chocolate and the p.b. has got so much sugar in it to hide it's flavour, it crunches. PB should not crunch (unless it's "crunchy style"). So, instead I mixed 1/4 C of pure mini chocolate chips (so you don't have to chop them up) into the mixture.

Topped it off with shhhhh-canned whip cream and a marachino cherry.

Well. I have to say this is one of the most addictive desserts I have ever had. Like Lays chips, you can't eat just one (slice).

The p.b filling is both light and creamy but also quite filling (as is most cheesecake recipes). The p.b. flavour is very much "muted" (you know it's there but it doesn't slap you in the face) and the cream cheese is just the perfect ingredient. I don't know how one can not like it as by itself, it doesn't really have a lot of flavour.

It's when it's combined with other ingredients that it lends the end product a special texture and hint of flavour.

If you haven't tried this yet, do so. You will be truly amazed at how addictive it is.

p.s.--it makes enough for one 8-9" pie (my experience).
    Last edited by Len Dennis; 08-19-2015 at 01:14 PM.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    well, I have to say I just got around to trying this pie. I will always try making something instead of buying it so in regards to the crust, I made my own. With a twist

For a 8-9" crust, I would use ~24 oreo cookies ground up in the processor and add 1/4 cup unsalted butter to help firm it up. For variety, I made half and half chocolate oreo crust and vanilla oreo crust--a half moon of vanilla on one side and half moon chocolate oreo on the other. After tasting the end product, I prefer the vanilla as it seems to lend itself to the overall "vanilly-ness" of the pie.

Also, I abhor reese p.b. cups. The chocolate, well, it's not really chocolate and the p.b. has got so much sugar in it to hide it's flavour, it crunches. PB should not crunch (unless it's "crunchy style"). So, instead I mixed 1/4 C of pure mini chocolate chips (so you don't have to chop them up) into the mixture.

Topped it off with shhhhh-canned whip cream and a marachino cherry.

Well. I have to say this is one of the most addictive desserts I have ever had. Like Lays chips, you can't eat just one (slice).

The p.b filling is both light and creamy but also quite filling (as is most cheesecake recipes). The p.b. flavour is very much "muted" (you know it's there but it doesn't slap you in the face) and the cream cheese is just the perfect ingredient. I don't know how one can not like it as by itself, it doesn't really have a lot of flavour.

It's when it's combined with other ingredients that it lends the end product a special texture and hint of flavour.

If you haven't tried this yet, do so. You will be truly amazed at how addictive it is.

p.s.--it makes enough for one 8-9" pie (my experience).
    Yours sounds good! Hard to believe how much sugar & crunched up graham crackers go into a little pb cup peanut butter....

I'd eat this more often if...................... I'd sure like to eat this once in a while

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Len - sounds like you really transformed the pie. Love your thought about the vanilla cookies - will try that.

Ray
    "queing, teeing, and being in NC"

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Crick View Post
    Len - sounds like you really transformed the pie. Love your thought about the vanilla cookies - will try that.

Ray
    If you make your own crust (do so 2 hours or so BEFORE making the filling so it can firm up in the fridge), after mixing and forming in the pan, put it in the fridge for a couple hours so the butter can "solidify" the crust, then put the filling in and refrigerate again so that part firms up.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Thanks Len
    "queing, teeing, and being in NC"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12