smoking a fresh ham for christmas

Nicolas

TVWBB Member
hello,

i'm picking up a fresh ham on the 13th to start brining it for dinner Christmas Eve. I plan to brine it for a full 10 days and smoke it to 140F with some hickory and applewood and a honey and mustard glaze towards the end. i've never done a fresh ham before and just want to know if anyone has any experience with this and to let me know if there is anything i might want to be ready for.

thanks in advance.

Tons. I do them nearly every year at Christmas (though not likely this one) and once or twice more during the year.

Me, I flavor brine for 3 or 4 days but do not cure it. I am a skin fan so I score it well prior to brining and I make a paste rub for it. I smoke/roast at ~325 to 145-150.

You can certainly brine longer - and need to if you are curing it (and, if curing, you should inject). You can cook at lower temps if you wish. You can remove the skin if you wish. (Do, if you are planning on cooking low as it won't crisp.)

Here and here describe, somewhat, the brine and rub. Here is a little pic of it just before removing it from the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
No. Not if you expect it to taste like ham rather than smoked/roasted pork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin,
You said upthread that you flavor brine but do not cure. So how do yours not taste like smoked/roasted pork rather than ham?
Never did one, but I'm just curious

It does. It tastes like smoked/roasted pork - but flavored, not like ham. My preference is for the former. While I like prociutto, Ibéerico, country hams, et al., it's mostly in things rather than alone. I'm not very fond of ham ham (like a ham steak or sliced ham or the like) served as a main dish. It's okay but not really my thing. I do cured ham on occasion, especially for those who really like it, as here.

Back