Modifications I find very conveinant

Terry Murphy

TVWBB Fan
The two locking latches I put on my 18.5 resembles the old Jeep hood latches. These latches are stainless steel, and stay secure even under a fully loaded smoker, with both racks loaded, and the water pan (new style) full. They have come in handy when I had to move ole smokey due to the winds picking up, or I had to move it under shelter due to rain. With my 2 handles installed, and a person on each side, it's very easy to move as one unit, and if you keep it level your water won't spill over into your fire. I have been fortunate thus far, and have not had that happen.
icon_smile.gif

I drilled (4) 1/4 holes, and used 7/16 x 3/4 inch ss bolts, with flat washers per side.

As far as the water pan handles, same process 1/4 " holes, 7/16 x 3/4 ss bolts, and flat washers.
The water pan handles work ideal. To many times when the water pan was full, it got away from me. This eliminates that now. Remember to keep this in mind, the porcelain will chip, (at lest it did for me)so when finished, I sprayed it with high temp. black paint. Remember the gloves when removing a hot water pan.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/a...1/Thebackyardsmoker/

The question has been asked:"Why do we modify a perfectly good smoker?" We do so because everything can be improved and personalizing our smoker is fun. Different people do different mods based on their way of doing things.

That's a cool mod Terry and you obviously enjoy your WSM more now that you did it.

I do enjoy these smokers
wsmsmile8gm.gif
and your correct Lew, the Mod's do make it that much more enjoyable. Now I just want to make a set of handles for the lower rack like I seen on a couple threads here. Once completed, it's time to order my 2nd one, and start over
icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.realworktrucks.com
There's the site Stewart. A little on the expensive side, but I wanted to use SS. If you happen to find them elsewhere for a lower price, would you let me know ? When I order my 2nd 18.5 I'm installing them on it also. It makes it real nice to move it around when you need to. Also great for transporting it, just throw a bungie over the hood, hook it to the handles, and go.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I like the idea of the handles on the water pan and also the handles on the side of the main body.

Where did you purchase those handles?

I have a covered area where I use my 22" WSM so the "lid locks" while cool I would not need.

thanks

Stephen,
You can get the handles at your local hardware store. I got mine at Ace. They are simply garage door handles. Those locks I put on are to lock the body for transport not the lid. As I stated earlier I just run a Bungie cord through the lid handle, and hook them on the handles for Transport. Good Luck !
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back