sand in pan and "always tender" loin back ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
Two unrelated questions:
How much sand have those of you using this technique been using? I was going to do some ribs today and have the WSM pan about half full leaving about a 1.5" deep foiled drip pan.

Has anyone tried the Hormel doctored "always tender" ribs with a no salt rub to see how that turns out. Up till now I have been careful to buy fresh unbrined ribs only.

Thanks

On Super Bowl Sunday I used the sand method for the first time for turkey and pork butt. I filled it about 3/4 with sand (3/4" - 1" below top rim). It was cold, like 19-25 degrees all day. I used the Minion method. Temps were at 250 all day.

-Matt

F.J,

I just went to the sand in the pan method this weekend as well. I filled a ECB pan half full, and it worked fine.

I have tried the Hormel doctored ribs three times, with salt, no salt, au naturel and heavily rubbed. Struck out all three times. Always sub par. You may have better luck than me, but unless someone gives me a slab of those things, I don't think I'll be trying them again.

Hi FJ, I have tried a couple different amounts of sand and not really seen much difference. Ribs turned out great eather way and heat temps were easy to controll. When I do do ribs and, butts or brisket I leave about an 1 1/2" of drip room and when I do chicken or salmon I use even less sand. I like to cook chicken at around 300* so I use a little less sand, thinking less heat sink more heat. I really don't think it makes a pinch of difference tho' cause I'm still controlling temp with the vents.
As for the ribs, I can't remember hearing a good review about 'em. Sorry! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Hope this helps,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back