Chicken Skin on Rotisserie

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
Jamie,

I really enjoy your video clips on Weber Nation. You rock!

I purchased a rotisserie for my kettle grill about six months ago and love what it does for chicken in particular. However, I am wrestling with getting the chicken skin right. Do you have any tips on how to get the skin a little more crispy? I have read lots of posting here on the forum, but maybe I am slow or unlucky, but I just can’t seem to get it right texture-wise. Do I need more heat? Too much or too little oil when I rub it down? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks for joining us on the forum.

Don,

Obviously I am not sure of exactly what you are doing with the chicken and what’s preventing you from getting the crispiness you want, but I’ll give you one thing to try: salt-curing. Before you put the bird on the rotisserie, sprinkle about ¼ cup of kosher salt all over the skin and inside the bird too. Then refrigerate the bird for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat it dry with paper towels. Brush just a little oil over the skin and use whatever seasonings you like. The key is the salt-curing. It firms and crisps the skin.

Good luck!

Jamie

Back