Lazzari Mesquite or Mesquite Lump in General Question

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Royal Oak Lump is starting to add up at $6.00 for a 10 lb. bag. If memory serves me correctly I can get a 40 lb bag of Lazzari Mesquite for $14 for 40 lbs. I checked the Whiz's database and other than the lower burn time (which seems to be an attribute of mesquite) it seemed to have a favorable review and over 80% of readers score it 4 - Good Stuff or better. So you're asking yourself, so Larry if over 80% of people say it's good stuff or better, why are you wasting my time writing a post for us to read; my question is, I do not care for Mesquite wood chunks and my concern is whether or not it's going to leave a similar taste on my meat to the wood chunks. Anyone use this stuff?

I'd probably only use it for high heat grilling, steaks, chicken, fish etc. I'll use my Rancher for low and slow.

Thanks in advance!

I got 2 40 Lb. bags in mid summer at local cash and carry for $11 a bag on sale and the stuff is working great. No off or weird flavors or smells. Burns very hot and quite long which is nice.

i havn't tried it yet but from what i've read there is really very little taste to it. lazzari is also selling oak lump so look for that. maybe smart and final or some restaurant supply houses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
I got 2 40 Lb. bags in mid summer at local cash and carry for $11 a bag on sale and the stuff is working great. No off or weird flavors or smells. Burns very hot and quite long which is nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto! The only problem with I've ever had with this stuff is making absofrickinlutely certain that the flame is extinguished. I've had it spontaneously re-ignite even after closing the vents and waiting 24 cold hours.

I wouldn't touch the mesquite, err, I don't touch the mesquite at all. There is no comparison in the mesquite and hardwood lump from Lazzari.

BBQ Galore sells their hardwood lump for $7.99 for a 10 lb. bag, and $14.99 for a 20 lb. bag of it.

All of our mileage varies. Very hard to find the hardwood lump around my area, most all carry the mesquite.

The first lump I ever used back in 83 was Lazzari mesquite, love the stuff and wish I could get it here on the right coast. Which we are right and not left.
icon_biggrin.gif

Evidently it's plentiful out here. Rumor has it if you're in the City (San Francisco) you can pick it up directly from the Lazzari. I've only seen the Mesquite out so far. I image you can get the hardwood at Lazzari.

It's getting harder to find around here. I usually buy a few 40lb bags and bust it up, very large pieces in those bags. Sometimes I'll get over 10lbs of dust and shake from one bag. I like it, use it mixed with Kingsford in the drum smokers or straight up in the Kamado and BGE. Never have used it in the WSM's though.
100_2623.jpg

100_2626.jpg

100_2628.jpg

I think its better than Best of the West Mesquite.

100_2629.jpg

brian, i have a roll of half by half hardware cloth in my shed and i keep saying i'm going to make a sifter for my lump but have yet to do it. i think you just inspired me. i also have a 20" round cap for heavy duty round duct that we use in commercial HVAC. i think i'll cut a 19" hole in that and use it as a sifter.

Damn Brian, you've got quite the setup there. Everytime I open bag of lump I tell myu 7 y0 I'll give him a couple bucks to sort it out for me, hasn't taken me up on the offer yet. I need one of those something similar to that I'll be using it in the K also, rancher in the WSM . . . it's just too easy.

I've never used lump in my WSM's before, I don't know why? I modded them with dual charcoal grates just for using lump.
The sifter comes in handy when I mow my lawn, I use it to sift the rocks from all the Mole hills, ruined a few mower blades hiiting them!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Evidently it's plentiful out here. Rumor has it if you're in the City (San Francisco) you can pick it up directly from the Lazzari. I've only seen the Mesquite out so far. I image you can get the hardwood at Lazzari. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, you can. They are just south of the city around Brisbane, as I recall...the only other place I've been able to find the hardwood lump is at BBQ Galore, they have Lazzari bag their own brand. Lazzari is the sole supplier of coal and charcoal on the west coast. It is where blacksmiths go out here. Lazzari mesquite also requires chopping up into smaller pieces for my taste, not to mention the forge flies (sparks) while it burns. If you can get a bag of mequite and hardwood lump and compare them for yourself, the difference in quality is noticeable.

If you shop on price alone, the mesquite is the much better deal. If you shop on quality alone, the hardwood lump is without question the better product. I suspect the rest are somewhere in between.
icon_wink.gif

FWIW, I have never used briquettes in my WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I like the lazzari mesquite but then I love mesquite wood. My local OSH carries it. Easy to get for me. The only problem I have with it is that it sparks alot on ignition.

Yes Lazzari runs from trunks to dust in size but I expect that for the price. I use it and it works just fine. I Prefer Kingsford for WSM and BGE (which I get wholesale) for the BGE.

If you can get a bag of mequite and hardwood lump and compare them for yourself, the difference in quality is noticeable
i read someplace that the mequite is terrible. can't remember where. And with all the people knocking mesquite smoke wood, why would the mesq lump be ok? Has anyone else had any luck with the mes lump? the mesq lump is all over the place here. I just have not used it , people really bash mesq smoke wood in their cooks. I just fear it being way to strong.

any places in the bay area to get quality lump besides BBQ galore?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john enea:
any places in the bay area to get quality lump besides BBQ galore? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not conveniently, AFAIK.

You could get it from Lazzari which is up in Brisbane, just south of the city. But BBQ Galore over at Campbell/Bascom will be your best bet if your in San Jose.

Yes, you can get the Mesquite Charcoal all over the place, OSH, Safeway even has it in my neck of the woods as I recall, and various other places. Trader Joes sells Cowboy brand lump, it's not bad, and Whole Foods 365 is made by Cowboy and readily available as well. Ace hardware sells Cowboy also. The Cowboy/WF-365 is hardwood lump, and that would be preferred IMO over the Mesquite Charcoal from Lazzari.

I live all the way over on the west side of San Jose, almost Cupertino, but I find it well worth my time to take a trip over to BBQ Galore. I buy about 40# at a time. It lasts a few weeks, depending on the length of the smokes. I used about 3/4 of a 10# bag for spareribs this past Sunday, not sure how much is left in the WSM.

I am one of the folks that doesn't care for mesquite, the taste is strong to me, but if your grilling with it, it seems to be less noticeable, to me anyway when it's cooked at high heat. All of our mileage varies.

I got this reply from Lazzari when I e-mailed them about the oak lump

"If it is the Oak hardwood charcoal; yes we are the only one that carries it around the bay area. We are located in Brisbane at 11 Industrial Way, 94005.

Our, hours are Mondays to Fridays from 8:30AM to 4:30PM. It comes in a 40lb bag for $16.06 a bag. Thank you."

Back