Q re Minion method and general BBQ please

Philip Langley

Hi all

I want to try the Minion Method, but before I do, I want to make sure that the briquettes we use here in Australia are the same size as the ones generally referred to in the US.

Quite often in BBQ sites, one is instructed to use a certain number of briquettes, so I want to ensure that we're all on the same hymn-sheet!

Would some kind soul measure one for me please?

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Philip

Kingsford briquettes are about 1.75 in. across and they're square. Now I'm no expert but my experience is that when using the Minion Method I don't have to be dead on precise. Using 15 or 17 briquettes isn't a big deal. Using 15 or 30 briquettes will have noticeably different results in how fast your cooker comes up to temp. And, whether you use 15 Kingsford or 15 Royal Oak is not going to make a noticeable difference.

If I'm cooking a pork butt I want my temp to settle in at the lower BBQ temp range (225-275) so I use about 15 briquettes. If I'm doing a Chicken or high heat cook I'll use more than a half chimney of lit coals because I want to see 325 - 375 degrees.

I hope that helps.

I tend to go off of amounts like "some," "a little," "a lot," and "a crapton." Especially since I mostly use lump.

But it is good with those first couple tries to count out based on good recommendations. Then you can just eye ball it, or adjust accourding to your cooking intuition.
icon_smile.gif

I just fill the ring and light it. When the cook is done, close all the vents and the caols go out and can be used for the next cook. I used to count but I'm a lazy dude and it's easier.

Ignore regional differences in size or shape of fuel unless you are a perfectionist. Add as much fuel as is generally noted for the cook. More is always better than less unless you're a comp cook and dollars count. Half ring for ribs, full ring for big meat (butts & brisket) is a workable rule of thumb. If you feel compelled to measure to a high degree, sit back, have a few beers and cook from the heart
icon_smile.gif

Sorry, to qualify, my more is better was meant for unlit, not lit. I find less is always better for lit to start.

Well as stated above: Doesent really matter. Go with 15 lit or more. The smoker will come up to temp faster the more you add. Just be sure you "choke" her up to catch temps a bit yearlier.

Back