Slow and Low, the science

ugh. that was tough to read and not because of the content.

I wonder why someone would go to that length and not cite their references?

The source is at the bottom "Harold McGee’s book On Food and Cooking The Science and Lore of the Kitchen "

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The source is at the bottom "Harold McGee’s book On Food and Cooking The Science and Lore of the Kitchen " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks, I gave up before I got there.

I guess that begs the question why somebody would rewrite something that was already well written?

Thanks, Mark. I think the process described by the author demonstrates what Kevin Kruger was trying to tell me the other day about trying to get the same results as someone else.

Obviously, the author's method works for him. However, right off, I can see a problem with it for ME on MY wsm: foiling at about 145* as he states. I've cooked a little over a year now, slow and fast, water or not, and I can tell you that my bark is far from being as mature as he describes at 145*IT, briskets or pork butts. It must be different for some reason in his cooker set-up, though. Harry Soo says he foils not much higher, though. Maybe 150 or 155? If time allows though, I prefer at least an IT of 160* before foiling. What I especially don't get is how the bark would be mature at 145* IT if cooking 225-250 as the author noted.

However, as to the science behind it all, I have no clue. I've just learned that the faster you cook, obviously, the less forgiving pulling times are, and the more important it is for your cooker to have even temps throughout the chamber. (Rotate as Kevin suggests if needed.) I've cooked butts for 18 hours in my wsm, and I've cooked the same size ones for only about 8 hrs. in my old UDS, using NO FOIL in the cooking process. Both were great. The biggest difference is the abscence of connective tissue on the slower cooks. However, I must say that it's harder to end up with a dry one if I foil.

<span class="ev_code_RED">EDIT: Just scratch those two last sentences. </span>
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the article.

Back