Alabama White BBQ Sauce

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by John Mason on October 21, 2004.

--------
I've only done one Chuck Roll, so I'm no expert, but this sauce, with the horseradish, went very well with it:

Alabama White BBQ Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
2 to 4 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp freshly grated or prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.

MAKE AHEAD The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

B's 'n Q's

Chris tried the White Sauce was excellent. BBQ'd some boneless/skinless chicken breast and used the Sauce for after. Took some to work we ordered out for Chicken strips once again excellent. Next will be Stuffed Pork Loin this weekend. Then I will pour White Sauce over it and serve.

I'd like to try a white sauce soon but can't bring myself to eat all that mayonnaise.
Would a fat-free or low-fat mayonaise yield the same flavor you think?
(currently training for a marathon and trying to keep our cals as low as we can without giving up good bbq)

Howdy Robert, I'm sure a low fat would work fine. I just made up a batch I came across from the Food Network, it's thinner than this one so less mayo to begin with. Here you go.

Thanks. Actually, that is the recipe I wanted to try so this works out perfectly.
I watched that Paula Dean episode with Big Bob and that is what piqued my curiousity.

Just tried the Big Bob Gibson version of the white sauce. It's a little thinner, little sweeter, little vinegarier. Don't know which I like better, they're both good!

We had a short discussion on White Sauce about a year ago. In searching the web (see my entry in earlier discussion), I found that both Bobbie Flay and Paula Deen had obtained the Alabama White sauce recipe but if you check, they are not quite the same.

I was shopping around the other day and spotted a soy-based mayonaise and decided I would try that out in a white sauce.
Let's just say I regret it now. Taste and texture left a lot to be desired. Had to add extra horseradish to make it tolerable, which wasn't bad in the long run since I really like my horseradish.

I found this one. Slightly different than the others.

White Barbecue Sauce
Prep: 10 min., Chill: 2 hr. Developed by Test Kitchens Professional Pam Lolley, this versatile sauce received our highest rating and is also good over baked potatoes or as a condiment for burgers.

This recipe goes with Grilled or pulled chicken or pulled beef/chcuk roll.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons horseradish or more to taste.

Preparation:

1. Stir together all ingredients until well blended. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Yield Makes 1 3/4 cups

I found this one. Slightly different than the others.

White Barbecue Sauce
Prep: 10 min., Chill: 2 hr. Developed by Test Kitchens Professional Pam Lolley, this versatile sauce received our highest rating and is also good over baked potatoes or as a condiment for burgers.

This recipe goes with Grilled or pulled chicken or pulled beef/chcuk roll.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons horseradish or more to taste.

Preparation:

1. Stir together all ingredients until well blended. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Yield Makes 1 3/4 cups

edit: Fixed to match Bryan's correction.

I used a recipe similar to this except I didn't use mustard. I may try this next time. I use this as a light sauce on a chicken sandwich I really like using Weber's New Orleans Cajun seasoning.

I really like horseradish so the kick of that is a nice touch when you taste it.

Bryan, please excuse the correction, but I believe that there is a typo in the White Sauce you posted above (and quoted by Wesley). It should be 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise instead of 1/2 cups, and if you want a thinner sauce, add 1/4 cup water.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Yeah Rita, makes sense too me since it makes 1 3/4 cups of sauce. I have no idea where I found that recipe at, I'll edit it. Great catch and thanks much.
icon_cool.gif

I didn't get it from that site. Where ever I picked it up from was a simple copy and paste. So there's another site out there that has a typo in the recipe.
icon_frown.gif

That's OK, Bryan. Best intentions. The giveaway was "1/2 cupS." We can try it either way, right?

Rita

After weeks of eating tomato based bbq sauces I needed a change and this sauce was just the thing. Absolutely excellent on chicken.

Below are 3 more recipes. They were with a 4th, the same one Chris posted originally, in a pdf file that was one of several from one of our TVWB members. Haven't tried them...

Bill

Alabama White

1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp grainy mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
coarse pepper

Alabama White II

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp coarse pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne

Alabama White III

3/8 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Combine first four items. Gradually whisk in lemon juice and vinegar. Blend until smooth.

Hi all,

I found that these white sauces work pretty well with pulled pork also. I first put some North Carolina red and then top it with this white sauce by Sir A.

Thanks for these, need to print them out and store in cool dry place for generations to come.

Greetings from up north,
-Antti The Finn.

Went with Chris' white sauce recipe for game 6 of the NBA finals.

The wife and friends who tried it loved it.

Cooked over hickory and charcoal on chicken. Will baste with it more next time.

Overall, great flavor!

The sauce was better than the game.

Back