Butt & Brisket emergency!

FJ Abraham

TVWBB Fan
I've got two 5 lb butts ready to go and one 5 lb. brisket. I need to have these ready around 6pm. I'm having a hard time deciding when to put them on.

Technically the butts should take no longer than 10 hours, but I'm not too confident in that, does anyone have any experience with such a small weight?

I'm thinking of putting the butts on at 4am, if they finish in 10 hours that puts them at 2pm, I can hold them for 4 hours I think. The brisket should go on no sooner than 9am and be done about 3 or 4.

I feel like I'm missing something.

You're not missing a thing, imo.

Alternatively, you could cook at a higher temp but if you're comfortable with your plan stick with it for less stress.

I would plan around 12-16 hours for the whole thing.

My 7 lb brisket took me 8hrs and I foiled. If your not planning on foiling any of the meat I would allow at least 12-16hrs.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FJ Abraham:

I'm thinking of putting the butts on at 4am, if they finish in 10 hours that puts them at 2pm, I can hold them for 4 hours I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You'll have no problem with a 4 hour hold and can even go another hour or two. IMO, that's the best way to go to avoid the stress of "will it be ready in time". Sounds like your brisket will also do well and foiling at 160 is also an option, if you like. Brisket definitely benefits from post-cook holding in HD foil in a cooler for at least an hour.

Paul

Back