Ribs: Describe your procedure, especially regarding rubs.

How long before cooking do you apply the rub? Do you really think it makes a difference whether you pat the rub, sprinkle it on, or rub it in? Thanks much.

Nate

I slather mine in mustard, then use BRITU (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html) and rub it in, so the mustard and rub form a sort of paste... gives the ribs a really nice crust ! I do it either a few hours before or overnight - because of the mustard, the rub doesn't have as much of a chance to draw out the meats juices (which can be a problem if you rub meat too far in advance).

When smoking ribs, I liberally apply rub and minimally rub it in and then the ribs go back into the fridge for about an hour and then rub again right as I'm putting them on the smoker.

I salt the ribs right after I light the coals for a Minion start. While the ribs sit (and moisture is drawn to the surface by the salt), I make the rub then apply it over the now-moistened surface, which allows it to stick. I dump the lit on the unlit, add the wood, assemble the cooker and immerdiately add the ribs.

I do exactly as Kevin K does. He suggested this method several years ago and I have used it ever since.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
When smoking ribs, I liberally apply rub and minimally rub it in and then the ribs go back into the fridge for about an hour and then rub again right as I'm putting them on the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do the same. I always rinse the ribs after I take them out of the package, and they are still slightly wet when I'm ready to apply the rub (after removing the membrane). So I have never tried mustard, Worcestershire sauce, or any of the other things people put on to make the rub "stick". I just shake it on, and pat lightly (no actual rubbing).

With all due respect to Larry D., I'm not big on rinsing. I pat dry out of the package, make a paste from rub and worcestershire sauce, and smear that on both sides. My Minion lit is already going. Dump that when ready, add wood and meat.

I put the rub in a shaker and shake it on one side of the ribs and let them sit for about 15 min to get wet. Then I flip them over and do the other side the same way. This is about a hour or so before they go on (as long as it takes to set the WSM up and light the chimney etc.).

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Ooh! My favorite subject! After trimming spares to st. louis' and removing the membrane, I give them a quick pat dry with a paper towel. I then set up the WSM and while I wait for that to come to temp (MM of course), I assemble my rub. Sometimes I use a production rub or enhance one. Sometimes I make up a rub. Depends on my mood.
I've never noticed a difference whether I rub or pat, I've done both and it doesn't seem to make a diff. When the WSM stabilizes I throw on the ribs, note the time and smoke for 5-6 hours. I rarely use a thermometer anymore, I guess my WSM and I understand each other and we know what is expected from each of us.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Nate,

Since you asked... While it may seem like blasphemy to many/most/all others on this forum, I'm not big on fancy/exotic/complicated rubs for any meat. I rinse the ribs. In my opinion, they taste better when rinsed. Pat dry. [Sanitize the sink and anything contaminated!] I trim to St. Louis-style--usually grinding most of the scraps into fresh breakfast sausage. Sprinkle the ribs with medium grind salt, then sprinkle with a little granulated garlic and some freshly ground black pepper while the coals are being fired. That's it. No binding agent. No sugar. Just light to moderate sprinkling--salt, granulated garlic and black pepper.

###

The last couple batches of ribs I made just like K Kruger minus the salt. I to minion the exact same way on almost every cook. If I am going for a higher heat I will chimney a full load and put the lit on the unlit. If I am shooting for a bit lower temp I will start less coals and use the same method. For long cooks I use a small coffee can in the center of a full ring of unlit and pour the lit in the middle of the can. This works very well for over night cooks with butts. As for adding the salt I think I will try that tomorrow. I have 7 racks of BB's going on tomorrow with a huge can of baked beans. I will be using the method in the cooking topic's of the forum for the beans. I like the idea of using salt to form some moisture on the meat. I have used this on steaks and burgers. Why not ribs!!! Vince

Back