Wiviott's Low and Slow book and the Weber Kettle (tried Lesson #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel S

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone here tried Wiviott's Low and Slow recipe #1 on a Weber Kettle. If so, what was your result?

Last week I checked out Low and Slow from the library and read every chapter and skimmed the recipes. I respect the coherency of the book from a local author, the primary graduated recipes and techniques, the supplemental recipes and the intent to simplify the process without an abundance of equipment or "futzing." That said, I think that the "KISS" fire and technique for recipe 1 will create a fire which is way too hot and will overcook the split bird by the time you are instructed to check for doneness. Looking over Wiviott's message board I saw two posts which seemed to have a very similar experience, "First time newbie. Lesson # 1. Fire too hot" and "Weber Kettle and the Raging Inferno of Death.")

There really is some good information in this book with stuff for me to learn on varying marinades, brines, sensory clues to look for while cooking, etc. But 1/2 (Weber) chimney lit lump + hickory chunk on top of 3/4 chimney unlit lump + hickory chunk results in a very hot fire for me (I wish I took a thermometer reading.) FYI, the vent settings were all wide open for 30 minutes, then bottom vent closed by 1/3. This dried out my split bird which was prepared as directed (except that I removed the keel bone as well which is probably verboten) before I am instructed to start checking for doneness (60 minutes.)

If you have any personal experience on this program from the perspective of a Weber kettle I'd love to hear about how it has worked out for you. After one lesson I'm inclined to give up on it, having found it better to modify your WSM recipes from this "engineer site" which make no reference to a kettle, to run on a kettle, namely the basic BBQ chicken, pulled chicken, etc.

Just bought his ebook and have yet to try lesson #1. Was planning on it this weekend, but you do bring up a good point. This sure seems like a lot of lit fuel for a Kettle (I have OTG). I didn't like it that he banged on this site as "engineer" site since this place has been a great resource for a newbie like me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billy S:
Just bought his ebook and have yet to try lesson #1. Was planning on it this weekend, but you do bring up a good point. This sure seems like a lot of lit fuel for a Kettle (I have OTG). I didn't like it that he banged on this site as "engineer" site since this place has been a great resource for a newbie like me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billy,

Thank you for the reply. Whenever you get to the cook I'm curious what your result is.

This site indeed is a great resource.

Daniel

Interesting observations. I met Wiviott at a BBQ place near my house last summer. He seemed like a nice enough guy and I bought Low and Slow while there. He was pretty quick to bash 'engineered' smokers, and I do have a nice smoker with a thermostat controlled fan unit, but I let him slide on that. I probably shouldn't have. Anyway, I started following his lesson plan and gave it up after the first lesson. The inferno of lit charcoal really doesn't favor low and slow cooking. I'll think his recipes are OK, but prefer to use my thermometer to confirm doneness.

I'm inclined to think that his technique/program works better for the WSM/Offset than the Kettle as their design lends themselves naturally to "low and slow."

I can see myself renewing the library book a few times for some recipes and stick with the resources on this forum. While a minion kettle setup as described in A longer burn process for kettles or Smoking on the Kettle for $10 may take slightly more resources and know-how initially they are much easier in the end run.

To each his own. If I had an "engineered" unit with a stoker, multiple digital thermometers, etc., I'd surely use it.

Daniel, I've got Wiviott's book so I'll try to help you out.

First off, don't give up on Wiviott's method of bbq education. So you wasted a small fryer 'cause your kettle was too hot. No big deal so consider it a cheap lesson. It might not be like learning bbq under the tutelage of the late great Big Bob Gibson down in Alabama as the legendary pitmaster Chris Lilly did. However, Wiviott's book is head and shoulders above most BBQ books out there and I think he's basically got a great approach to instruction. Beats laying down hundreds of dollars to go to someone's bbq school, too. Wish I would've had the book back when I first started bbq.

Anyway, as to what happened...Kettles all cook a little differently based on the lid fit and if the vent fins are "tight". In other words, for one thing, your lid might be slightly out of round and this can make the fire hotter. Also, could it be that your vent fins aren't nice and tight to the bowl? I've got two 22.5" OT kettles, and they both cook a little bit differently because of fit factors. Also, if I have my tool hanger or especially my Slide-Aside lid holder in place, that will allow more air to the fire and significantly higher temps, especially if trying to smoke something low-n-slow.

Basically, if your kettle is in good shape, just tweak Wiviott's method and give it another shot. For instance, you might try shutting the bottom vents back 50% a quarter hour sooner. If you're in the ballpark and the fryer isn't done before the one hour mark, you know you can move on to the next lesson.

I will tell you this though. Not to cast doubt on Wiviott's methods, but I think his family must own a lump charcoal company or something. I don't understand how he can disparage the use of briquettes or even leftover lump, but still like such a relatively heavy smoke based on his recommendations for using the wood.
icon_confused.gif
Seems like someone with such discerning tastes wouldn't want so much wood, but that's just me thinking too much. Seriously though, IMHO, there's nothing wrong with Kingsford OR leftover charcoal. Other than that, just go with the book. Every bbq book I have has mistakes so give him a little grace if you come across any other problems. You might go ahead and at least use a cheap oven therm on the grate as he recommends. If your bird is done sooner than an hour, you're cooking awful hot. For the record, his method would probably be pretty close on one of my kettles, especially with the loaf pan full of water. Hope this helps, and good luck with your bbq education.
icon_smile.gif

Dave,

Thank you for the detailed and helpful response. Good points on the Kettle lid/vents/tools. I indeed have both a weber slide aside & tool holder and one OT fin isn't totally flush, which I doubt can be easily adjusted and is really no problem.

I'll give it another and try another marinade recipe. (not sure of what to think of the mojo criollo.)

Daniel

Daniel, I can't say whether there were any factors to consider since I wasn't there cooking with ya. However, I can say without hesitation that if you were smoking the bird with both the tool and lid holder in place, that would be enough right there to have it overcook in an hour, at least in my experience.

The vent fins can be tricky to bend back without damaging the porcelain on the bowl, but it doesn't have to be perfect, especially since the issue is with only one. Just compensate with your vent settings if you can't get it to cooperate.

Hi Daniel.

It's football Saturday and I decided to put spares on the kettle instead of lesson # 1. They've been on 2 hours and I'll probably foil in an hour or so. I'm going to cook until tender--toothpick sliding easily into the meat.

Just wanted to let you know I won't do lesson 1 just yet. Have you progressed any further with the lessons?

Billy,

I have only done spares a few times on the kettle but that's exactly what I did last time, cooked for 3 hours, foiled an hour and sauced.

I have not progressed further but Dave's comments above have encouraged me to try the first lesson again without extra things hanging off the bowl, vents a little more closed and perhaps a verboten thermometer to get a baseline of what temp I am running. I think I will try the Asian Marinade next.

I also used some mojo criollo marinade I had extra in the bottle on skirt steak and it was excellent.

Happy BBQ/Grilling,
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back