Leftovers

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
When I cook ribs I only cook 1 or 2 racks and was wondering if you guys when cooking cook more then one meal at a time and how you keep the meat and reheat it later.

Thanks bones

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven Simpkins:
When I cook ribs I only cook 1 or 2 racks and was wondering if you guys when cooking cook more then one meal at a time and how you keep the meat and reheat it later.

Thanks bones </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will keep cooked meat in the fridge no longer than 2 days. Is it safe after 2 days, sure in most cases, but I'm anal. If I know when I'm cooking that I'm gonna have alot leftover, I will vacuum seal and freeze what will not be eaten in 2 days.

If I'm firing up the smoker I always cook more for storage. I cool, vac seal and freeze. To reheat I thaw and reheat in just below boiling water. Almost as good as just off the smoker.

Leftovers? What is this word?
icon_confused.gif
Just kidding. The missus won't eat leftovers,so if there ARE any,we either send them home with a guest,or the guys at work love me come Monday morning!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

i usually cook enough for leftovers usually on a saturday and sometimes on sunday depending how i feel. they are good for up to 4 or 5 days. smoke is a preserving agent along with salt. it is how food used to be preserved through a cold smoking method. when meat is cooked to safe temps it will keep around a week but i limit mine to 4 or 5 days.

i often take some to work for lunch and reheat in a common use microwave and make folks jealous
icon_smile.gif
microwave is my usual method for re-heating for myself. i will use my OTS or oven if i am re-heating for guests. i cant tell the diff tween using em but guest will give "ye olde fish eye" if you pull bbq out of a microwave...

What LarryR says. I keep it to well below boiling. Aroung 140-160 (water temp measured with instant read therm).

Back