Sour Cream Cornbread

Tim L.

TVWBB Pro
Hey all. I tried the recipe for sour cream cornbread that Chris has posted in the recipes section, but failed pretty miserably. Well, maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

I did everything by the book. Used all the ingredients in the right amounts. Problem was that it was super "liquidy". No matter how long I left in the oven, it would never fully solidify. I used a Le Cresuet cast iron skillet, as recommended.

Has anyone else tried this recipe? Any ideas on what I could have done wrong? It does seem like a very "liquid" recipe, with 3 eggs, 1.5 cups of creamed corn, 1.5 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup oil, and only 1.5 cups corn meal mix. That's over 2:1 liquid.

Thoughts?

Any other recipes or suggestions on how to make a moist (aka not bone dry) corn bread? That's why I went with this recipe in the first place

I've made this recipe so many times and it always turns out great, but just to be sure I checked the ingredients list to confirm the amounts were correct as shown, and they are.

My thoughts:

* Was the oven preheated to 425*F first before lowering to 375*F?

* Was the pan placed in the upper third of the oven?

* Confirm the accuracy of the oven using a thermometer. It's not uncommon for ovens to be off by up to 50*F.

* Was the cast iron pan smaller than 10" as mentioned in the recipe?

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the response Chris. Nice to know I was operating from the correct list. Must be user error
icon_smile.gif

-Yes, it was preheated to 425, then immediately reduced to 375 when I put the cornbread in

-Yes, in upper third

-I have never done this. I'll try when I get home. Curious to see what it is.

-Honestly I didn't measure. Looked about 10". I'll check

And...not sure if it was fat free. That's an excellent question and to be truthful I didn't even bother to check the jar.

Ok, I'll give it another shot after I check oven temp.

Thanks!!!

Back