Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerky on the WSM....

Thought I'd post back my spicy Jerky now that I am happy with it:

5 lbs Inside Round Marinating Steak (1 1/2" thick) cut into 3/4" strips, turned on the wide side and halved along the length, cut to desired length (portion) you should end up with 3/4" square lengths.

Season meat with Van G Spice, put in sealed bag for 2 - 4 hrs and refrigerate.

Marinade:
    2/3 c Soya Sauce
    1/2 c Worcestershire
    1/4 c Brown Sugar
    1/4 c Terriyaki Sauce
    3 Chipotle's Diced with seed and Adobe sauce
    1 Scotch Bonnet Diced with seed
    2 tbls Chili Flakes

Bring all ingredients to boil and gently simmer for 20 minutes to bring out the heat of the peppers. Cool to room temp.

Add to seasoned meat and coat all meat well. Refrigerate for 1 - 2 days making sure to re-mix bag so meat is equally coated.

Place strips on racks, sprinkle with chilli flakes and smoke at 150 - 170 until done with 3 Hickory chunks (no water pan).

can someone elaborate on the hanging process? I see mention of stringing, toothpicks, skewers etc. Im interested in trying some jerky, but am not quite grasping the meat configuration you guys are using. anyone have pics?

---

noob says thanks!

TVWBB Pro
    Get yourself some wooden (or bamboo) shrimp skewers at the supermarket. After soaking in warm water for a few hours, take a skewer and pierce several strips of jerkey about 1 inch from the end of each . To match the spacing on your own grill, slide each piece down the stick about 1/2 inch apart. Then place the skewer with the strips hanging from it horizontally onto the grill. Most of each strip will hag below the grill itself. It's a space saver although a bit time consuming to arrange the strips.

Review the post on page 1 of this here thread made by Kevin Taylor. He offers some good advice. Me, I take about 3 to 4 pounds of jerked meat and simply lay each piece onto the grill just prior to smoking. To blazes with skewers and toothpicks!

ahh got it! i didnt realize the meat was actually hanging through the grill...

thanks!

TVWBB Member
    Season meat with Van G Spice, put in sealed bag for 2 - 4 hrs and refrigerate.
    Van,

What is the dry spice you use or are talking about here. I see in your previous post you contemplated doing the dry rub/spice before marinating and I see your previous ingredients list but wanted to ask to make sure.

What is the dry rub or spice you put on first?

TY!

Jeff

What seems to be the consensus on how much wood to use?

What type are you guys using as well? Thinking maybe hickory will be too strong, so something like oak or apple?

TVWBB Pro
    For 3-4 pounds "wet" jerkey meat, I use either 2 or 3 small chunks of pecan or hickory. No more unless you want bitterness and an overpowering wood flavor.

Originally posted by Jeff Day:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Season meat with Van G Spice, put in sealed bag for 2 - 4 hrs and refrigerate.
    Van,

What is the dry spice you use or are talking about here. I see in your previous post you contemplated doing the dry rub/spice before marinating and I see your previous ingredients list but wanted to ask to make sure.

What is the dry rub or spice you put on first?

TY!

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I trim and cut my meat, pat dry, and then season with dry rub for a couple hours (bagged in fridge). Dry rub I've used lately is something like this (modified version of Emeril's Essence):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons coarse salt
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon chipotle powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme

I haven't tried hanging my jerky yet, just laid it out on 2 racks and I use 3 chunks of mesquite and maintain 150 - 170. Takes about 6 hours and that is with thick pieces and finished jerky is still moist (I refrigerate the Jerky for the 3 weeks that it lasts).

Has anyone done beef jerky using a Guru DiqiQll? and what procedure did you use? (how much coal,etc).Thanks for any help,I sure appreciate it.Will post pic when doing.

TVWBB Member
    Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
    What seems to be the consensus on how much wood to use?

What type are you guys using as well? Thinking maybe hickory will be too strong, so something like oak or apple?
    I realize this is old but to answer---
    The key is don't use much wood, no matter the kind. I don't use any wood on my jerky most of the time, just the charcoal. I've tried hickory, pecan, apple, etc. None were bad. Just use one very small piece and you'll probably be happy (tennis ball or smaller, even just one or two "wood chips" will add flavor to jerky)

But honestly I've found that while everyone says it's good, they always prefer the stuff with just charcoal and no smoke wood (when given a piece of each).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast