Mustard Help !

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
What should the consistancy of the mustard be just after mixing?

One English Mustard is runny mud consistancy. I could see this one thickening.

The other, which called for all mustard seeds, I used 1/2 mustard seeds and 1/2 mustard powder. This recipe is just plain watery...seemingly not near as thick as the other.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
The other, which called for all mustard seeds, I used 1/2 mustard seeds and 1/2 mustard powder. This recipe is just plain watery...seemingly not near as thick as the other.

Any thoughts or suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve, The seed will absorb some of the liquid. Let it rest overnight and see what it's like tomorrow. If still watery, you can mash/crack a bit. HTH

Good advice. I still added more mustard powder and seeds. I assume a mustard can be adjusted on the fly to get the desired thickness. I may be making too much out of this but it is my first time.....

You're not making too much out of it and yes that is what to do. Most I make have a bit more powder than liquid. I usually adjust to get the thickness I want when I make it. If too thick after a day or two I thin it slightly with water or with one of the acids in the mix.

Many commecial mustards simply include flour as the end thickener or to mellow the taste of the mustard. I dislike flour in mustards.

Kevin I could not agree more concerning the use of flour in mustard...I ran from those recipes.

Somehow I have used almost all the mustard I ordered from Penzeys...I have more mustard than we have used in the last year! Perhaps it will be exceptional and we'll need it or share it.

As always I appreciate your insights.

Steve,
I made some from Penzey's seeds. It was about the consistence of the mustard in Chinese places. I used Penzey's proportions. What surprized me was hot HOT it was at the begining. Mellowed some later. It never really got as thick as commercial stuff. Didn't know about the flour. Thanks for the info Kevin.

If you want it to.
icon_smile.gif

Mustard powder has little flavor and is fairly innocuous until mixed with water (which is why you never see it in rubs I make). It takes several minutes to activate and peaks in about 15 minutes. After that point it atarts to slowly mellow. (Note that at that point it can actually burn you.)

Heat inhibits the potency of mustard and also its flavor. Chilling will prevent the heat from increasing. Acids or acidic elements are added to preparations to slow the decline of prepared mustard's potency, though many aficionados feel that acids mask the flavor of the the best prepared mustards. (I really don't agree. I like them both, though--with and without acids--and find them suitable for different things.) As you see, the recipes you use--and the methods employed-go a long way to determining results. Change an item, or introduce it later in the process, or use cold or heat, and the finish will be different.

how about mustard oil? I was thinking it might work in a paste that I could sprinkle a rub over, but I'm afraid it might be too potent,

It's pretty potent, especially if you have one from a small, home producer. You can heat it to the smoking point first, then pour it into a bowl to cool. That will lessen its potency.

One of my mustards rates a 'D'.
The other as a hot mustard rates a 'C+' or 'B-'.
The English mustard separates. The other is just plain hot. So far this does not seem to be a worthwhile use of time based on this experience.

I will keep them in the frig to see how they age.

English Mustard: loosely taken from....Colemans site

1 c brown mustard seeds
1/4 c yellow mustard seeds (I did not have yellow seeds)
1 c dark beer (this is why I fell for this one)
1 1/4 c vinegar
1 c yellow mustard powder
1 c water
1 t sugar
1 t salt
1 t allspice
1/4 t tumeric
1/4 t mace

This is the mustard I prefer...it is more than just HOT mustard. I am looking for the other recipe.

Grainy Spicy Mustard by Jim C

2/3 c white wine
1/3 c vinegar
1/2 c water
1 T honey
1 t salt
2 T pickling spice
1/4 c brown mustard seeds
1/4 c yellow mustard seeds

IN ALL FAIRNESS TO RECIPE AUTHORS-I took liberties with both recipes.

I do not remember using a blender of processor to make the mustard smooth.

This was my first try at mustard-one runny , one too hot. Perhaps Steve should follow a recipe for a change!

I am never concerned with mustard that separates--I just stir it. Many recipes (and commercial makers) use flour or a starch to stabilize the finish but this isn't something I like.

The first recipe is similar to one I make.

The second is too but I include ground seeds as well.

If you want to temper the heat you can try applying heat to the mustard. Take a small portion and heat it gently for a while (if too thick, add a little water to it and then cook off some or most of the water during heating). Cool, scrape into a container, frisge, then taste once cold.

Another thing you can do is turn a portion of the mustard into 'honey mustard' (use sugar and honey, not just honey), and portions into various vinaigrettes, sauces, or dressings. Since the mustard is just a portion of these items, you'll temper the heat considerably.

In either case, were the liquid ingredients cold when you mixed the mustard? --room temp? --heated?

I believe the one I like was simmered. The other not. Honey-good idea.

I believe I will try to rescue the mustard as you suggest. A little honey, sugar, onion and, garlic....

Many mustards are made by applying heat right at the beginning when the ingredients are first mixed. Some mix the mustard powder into cold water but then mix that into a hot or warm mixture; others vice versa. Temps affect heat level and playing with temps at the beginning will affect heat/pungency right out of the gate. This dramatically shortens the mellowing time as the heat factor is lessened from the get-go. If you like the overall profile of a mustard you make but want to alter its heat/pungency or mellow it quicker, try playing with the temps at the beginning when you first mix it.

To about 1 3/4 c of my mustard, I added 2 t sugar and 2 T honey. In 1 T garlic olive oil I cooked about 1/3 cup sweet onion then added the mustard after blending it in the blender to smooth the whole seeds. This simmered for 20 minutes or so.
I am not sure which step helped the mustard...but it was much better. Hot enough for a good sandwich. Thanks Kevin.

Back