How low will she go E-330

Larry El

Was doing prime rib on the new grill Saturday. (came out great) Anyway, using the indirect heat I wanted to cook at 225-250. Lowest the grill would go is 325 with the 2 indirect burners on. Was not sure if I could shut off one of the burners and still get even indirect heat? How do I get lower temps? Thank you.

try going with just one burner and rotating what your cooking halfway through the cook, that should lower your temps.

I've found the same for low temps in the EP-330 -- the low with one burner is 275-300. The problem is the great stuff they put in to get a more efficient grill (lined hood, bottom heat reflectors). Great for propane efficiency, not so much for low temps.

And, BTW, indirect is anything NOT over flame, so with only one burner going, you still get reflected, radiant, convection heating just fine. I do this all the time even with the sear station going (for something like baked potatoes).

Andy I like the idea about propping the hood, but... On my 330, I lined the front and sides with wood stove gasket tape to prevent the intense leakage of smoke (from wood chunks) all around the edges and to specifically direct the smoke out the back vent gap. This is great to improve the "smoking" ability of Genesis. Since I use wood for grilling more often than not, that was important to me.

My older model E-310 would go as low as 250* with just the front burner, but the EP-330 has shorter burners, so you might otherwise expect lower temps. Then the "efficiency" comes in.

So using one side burner is the right answer for lower and slower. As David said, rotate your meat just in case, but also remember that the temp shown is for the whole grill. It will be hotter over the operating burner, but a little lower than the thermo over the other side (try setting an oven thermometer inside). And I haven't had any real problems with meat cooking more in the flame direction when it is on the "inactive" side of the grill.

Edit: Incidentally, I was glad to see your temp for two end burners going on low. Mine is the same 325*.

Rich

Do they make a rotisseree burner (infrared or otherwise) for the E-330? (An idirect burner that usually runs the long way across the back side of the firebox.)

If they do, and if you like to cook Prime Rib or Poultry, this may be the best way to go somewhere down the line.

I know - not of much use NOW, but something to think about for the not-so-distant future...

They currently don't offer that for the 300 series. You have to go to the summit line for a smoke box, rotisserie, and sear burner. The new 330's have added a sear burner.

I was watching the episode of Good Eats where AB did BBQ. He did some ribs on his gasser by only lighting one burner AND turning the gas valve partially closed. He got his down to 225*.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I was wondering also about turning the gas down at the tank to see if that would help. Thanks again

Originally posted by Larry El:
Thanks for all the great ideas. I was wondering also about turning the gas down at the tank to see if that would help. Thanks again

DON'T turn the gas down at the tank. The burner valves are designed for control. The tank valve is basically all-or-none. If you turn it down low, you could interrupt the flow rather than controlling it.

Rich

Keep in mind that propane burns hotter than NG.

Ever since I got a NG unit, I haven't burned anything. Not so with propane. Walk away from that and b4 you know it, crispy critters.

Back