Raw Brisket Question

Sam S.

TVWBB Member
I purchased a 10lb brisket on 4-15 from a butcher. It is a packer brisket still in the shrinked wrapped bag. Does anyone know in general how long this should last in my refrigerator? I plan on cooking it this Friday.

you've got no problem at all cooking it this week. Frankly, you could probably wait another week or two and you'd be fine, as long as that cryovac package hasn't been punctured.

Some folks claim they sort of age their briskets in that cryovac, similar to dry aging, but in a wet environment. I'm not prone to do that, but I do know that you'll be absolutely fine for a while with that brisket.

- Adam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
you've got no problem at all cooking it this week. Frankly, you could probably wait another week or two and you'd be fine, as long as that cryovac package hasn't been punctured.

Some folks claim they sort of age their briskets in that cryovac, similar to dry aging, but in a wet environment. I'm not prone to do that, but I do know that you'll be absolutely fine for a while with that brisket.

- Adam </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No.
A lot of false infor there Adam. If the sell by date was after 4/15 then you should be good for this week. As far as a couple weeks, not necessarily. All depends on the date. Cryovac packaged meat does last longer, but thats all relative to the package and experation date.

So the statement of absolutely fine for a while can be so very untrue! Good way to get someone sick.

There was no date on the cryovac package I have boughten meat from this butcher before and everything has been golden. I will make sure I do it this week.
Thanks,
Sam

Just a little F.Y.I. Cryovac meat tends to have a funky smell when you first open it. Rinse off the meat and let it air for 15-30 minutes and the smell will be gone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon:
No.
A lot of false infor there Adam. If the sell by date was after 4/15 then you should be good for this week. As far as a couple weeks, not necessarily. All depends on the date. Cryovac packaged meat does last longer, but thats all relative to the package and experation date.

So the statement of absolutely fine for a while can be so very untrue! Good way to get someone sick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sure I really agree with that, but that's what is great about these boards. More opinions. Since this is beef, not pork or poultry, you don't run as big a risk. While I know it isn't impervious to bacteria by any means, it doesn't have nearly as many little evils running around to ruin the meat like the other two.

Thats why you can have dry aged beef, which, by nature, is way past its normal "sell date." Essentially, it's just hung, refridgerated beef. Obviously, it is done so with large cuts, under careful conditions, so you can't assume you can do that immediately with store-bought meat, but it does underscore the point about beef being more resistant to deterioration. But you'll never have dry aged pork or poultry (that just sounds gross, doesn't it?
icon_smile.gif
)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">All depends on the date. Cryovac packaged meat does last longer, but thats all relative to the package and experation date. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not exactly. There is no such thing as an expiration date for meat. It will certainly 'expire' but there is no knowing the date. Right--it is relative to the packaging (type and integrity)--and to the transport and storage conditions and knowing the 'pack' date is very helpful but you will have to ask to find out what that is.

The only relevant date when it comes to meat is the pack date which is on the case the meat packer ships, not on the the cryo. There are no standards for 'sell-by' dates and the only foods required to have them are many dairy products and virtually all baby and infant foods. Some states require sell-bys and some chains and individual markets require it but there is no standard. In fact, if a store decides the meat in this particular package is perfectly fine despite having a sell-by of yesterday it is free to re-package the meat and change the sell-by. Nothing--unless prohibited locally or by company policy--prevents this.

Back