Jerk Chicken using Pimento Wood

John Bailey

Hi all, I ordered some pimento wood recently and did one cook with it. I don't think I used enough as I couldn't pick up the flavor from it in the chicken. I picked up some Walkerswood jerk marinade and rub today. I wanted to know if anyone has used the pimento wood / chips before and if there is an authentic cooking process for jerk chicken. Marinade or rub? Smoker or grill? Any advice welcome.
John

John,

Walkerswood is really good jerk seasoning. I have yet to use pimento wood, but have used dried pimento berries for smoke on a jerk chicken cook and it came out fantastic.

I am actually trying to get ahold of some wood for a jerk pork cook this weekend, but I will use the dried berries if I can't find any.

They key to authentic jerk chicken is there must be smoke. The best jamaican places around me all use smokers for the jerk chicken.

For my jerk pork this weekend I am thinking of injecting walkerswood marinade (Not usually an injecting person, but we'll see) and using the jerk paste for the rub.

e-1.gif
for Walkers. Good stuff. I usually use a little apple wood.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been told the best way is also to use a whole chicken and split in in half? I like the sin, so I am skeptical about putting rub under the skin as I have heard that the skin may fall off if this is done.

John,

If you are gentle the skin shoudl stay on.

I have spatchcocked chickens for jerk, and also done leg quarters and pieces. Leg quarters are my favorite chicken, so that's what I prefer.

Any suggestions on the amount of pimento to use? I know it is a more potent wood, but I don't want to under do it too.

I've used Pimento wood quite a bit and I have discovered a thing or two. I started out with a one pound bag of chips I bought at a state fair and the seller assured me there was enough in the bag for 10 smokes. I ended up using more after the first couple times and ended up getting 5 cooks out of the bag in order to get the flavor I was looking for which makes it very expensive wood. The flavor was superb though and I really like using it but between the expense, the very small size chips, and having to use about twice as much as I thought I just use them for special occasions. I've spent alot of money on Pimento but it's one of my favorites and gives the food that true Jamaican flavor I'm looking for.

Back