Wood chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

For all cooks on my wsm, I put a layer of charcoal down, then a layer of dry wood chips. I repeat this til the ring is full, then use the minion method. I find this gives plenty of light smoke throughout the cooking session and I don't have to add any wood in the middle of the night.
I've gotten good results this way.
PS.
I'm not one of those who think meat stops taking on smoke flavor after 140 deg.

Has anyone else tried this?

Hey DB....

I will usually bury my chunks in the unlit charcoal. This too will burn during the entire cook. I put the chunks in first, then pour the virgin briqs on top. I then add a few small chunks on top to start the smoking.

There has been much misunderstood about the 140? and smoke concept. Somehow, the fact that the SMOKERING stops forming at this temp has gotten turned around and folks now think that the meat will not take on smoke above this temp. That is simply not true.

You are absolutely correct in stating that smoke will be absorbed during the entire cook.

Good to see you around!

Your Judging Student...

DB & Stogie
I think that the term absorb is part of the problem, as long as smoke is being produced then smoke flavor is being layed on meat.
DB
Good idea I will give it a try, I normally use chunks as Stogie does.
Jim

DB...

I will have to see how my schedule works out. I usually try to get down south and cook a couple of MIM events that time of year. Going to Macon, GA this year.

Of course, maybe I will be a Grand Champ somewhere and be "forced" to go!

I'll let you know!

Jim,
I've had this discussion a few times with others.
Does the smoke absorb after 140 or is it just flavoring the surface if the meat?
I did an experiment once where I smoked one brisket and started another in the oven. When the brisket in the oven reached 140, I transferred it to the pit and continued smoking them both. Both had a smoked flavor. The oven brisket had a very small ring.
I guess the next step will be to do the same experiment and trim off the outer edges of both to see if I can taste any penetration.
If there is no penetration, I can stop wasting my wood for the last half of the cook.
Sounds like a fun weekend coming up.

I know fish is not meat but I have smoked hundreds of pounds of fish. With fish you typically want heavy penetration. I would always start the smoking at cold temps. I was actually taught to start at 140F by an old timer that had been smoking for 60+ years. The method would start at 140 and adjust to 160, 180, 200, 220 in 1-2 hour increments. I will tell you that if I started at higher temps (my cooker was junk) I did not get enough smoke flavor inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back