best BBQ book

Status
Not open for further replies.

D M Sattelberg

TVWBB Member
always love to read on this stuff... what are some of the best books for BBQ'in and grilling out there... love to hear what others think....

D.M.

Although I have always loved to grill, my real addiction started when my family bought me Steven Raicheln's "How to Grill" cookbook. I've learned a lot from his book. In fact that is where I first saw a picture of the WSM. Between his book and this website, I'm eatin real good!

Here are the BBQ Books that I've gotten over the years:

- Smoke n' Spice - I forget the names of the authors, but they do have a new edition out. This is my favorite general BBQ book - not really for grilling. Very well done.
- KCBS Cookbook (It's Not Just for Breakfast Any More) - Also a good general BBQ book
- John Willingham's BBQ book - some good stuff, as long as you ignore the serious physics faux pas ("pulling the cold out of the meat" almost made me drop the book)

I'm not sitting at home, but I do have a few more. OH yes, Paul Kirk's rubs and sauces book, very useful reference for making your own rubs and sauces.

The book I use most often and was
most educational for me was Paul Kirks
championship barbecue sauses (recipies
and theory on mops, rubs, marinates, etc.

One of the more enjoyable "reads" was
The Barbecue America Cookbook.

I bought Steve Raichlen's (sp) book
"The Barbecue Bible." I was a little disappointed. Most of the book discussed recipes from Iran and Fiji and other places. Good info though, it's just pretty basic, you probably know all the tips he has for you.

My favorite book to read "North Carolina Barbecue, Flavored By Time", which has just a few recipes, some restaurant reviews, and a lengthy discourse on the history of NC Q. Good reading, makes me cook everytime I read it. Course, I'm North Carolina, so I'm prejudiced!

Two of my favorite reading/recipe books have been:
Barbecue America & Grilling America by Rick Browne.Just interesting reading about his bbq pilgrimage across the US.

Two of my favorite bbq recipe/teniques have been :
Paul Kirks Championship sauces and Barbecuing & Sausage-Making Secrets by Charlie and Ruthie Knote .

Willy T.

Thanks all... Went to the local Media Play store and bought, for starters, Smoke and Spice. Seems pretty good so-far. I guess the proof will be in the pudding... or the butt, or the brisket....

DM
That is a good book but there cooking techniques are not up to par when it comes to pit temps amd times, you will get better info here for that information.
I also have the book and do like the recipes.
Jim

Jim, I ordered Smoke and Spice, but it hasn't arrived yet. You mentioned their pit temps and times were off. Too low and short or too high and for too long a time?

Bob

Mine are Smoke & Spice, Paul Kirk's Championship Sauces, and the Weber Big Book of Grilling (which I really like).

Bob...If memory serves the temp & time in Smoke & Spice is too low and too short. Still a good book though.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I have Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. I love the book. The Renowned Mr. Brown that is listed on this site comes from that book. The suggested temps are 200 - 220. They recommend cooking the Pork in the above recipe for 1.5 hrs/lb or until it is "falling-apart tender".

I think Smoke and Spice has some decent rub and sauce recipes, but, like Jim says, their cooking times and temperatures, in my experience, would not make good bbq. Typically, they are not cooking long enough or not hot enough.

Dale

HI there,

I'm new to smoking but for grilling I thought I'd throw in my two cents for The Grilling Encylopedia by A. Cort Sines.

It's an excellent reference. It's organized A to Z by food and in the 8 years I've been using it it's hard for me to think of a time it's steered me wrong.

Smoke & Spice is a great primer, just don't take it all literally with regards to time & temp. Use it to get a start on your own stuff, then collaberate with the ideas & recipes on this site, you'll be off and running

It seems I fall in and out of love with different barbecue books..I own a ton of them....My books must have a balance of recipes, stories and lots of pics.......Presently I must endorse two very good books:

1. "The Grand Barbecue: A Celebration of the History, Places, Personalities and Techniques of Kansas City Barbecue" By Doug Worgul (Hard to find...Amazon has two used copies for sale, one for $189.10 and the other for $156.47).....I may have a source for new/unused copies of "The Grand Barbecue" I will try and post the source soon.

2. "Grilling America" By Rick Browne This book has a wealth of photos and stories (It has a few pictures of cooking crews using the WSM...I love it)

These are two must have books!

P.S. Is it just me or does anyone else shy away from books and authors spelling "barbecue" with a Q?...LOL

Paul D.---I stumbled into barbecue the exact same way: via Raichlen's How to Grill. My interest was all spawned by Howard Stern raving about it. How did you come across it?

I bought the "How to Grill" book a few months ago. The grilled asparagus is great. The grilled pineapple was fun for dessert. Trying the grilled cabbage this weekend.

MikeZ

Susan:
Ditto on Steve Raichlen's "How to Grill". I stumbled upon his BBQ show on public television, after a few weeks went to his website and ordered. Prior to that time, I had not thought there was a difference between grilling and barbecue...although I have been grilling for years. I think I want to purchase his "BBQ USA" book at some point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back