Injecting/Chris Lilly's Question

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm going to do a butt and some ribs this weekend and I want to give the Chris Lilly's injection a try. Here's my question. Would there be any problems with injecting in my WSM just prior to assembling (after she's been rubbed down) vs. before rubbing? Obviously this method has worked and won championships so I'm not looking to improve it, just the "ease of use" factor for myself.

I don't think this matters or not but I'll be using a dry foiled pan or maybe my clay saucer, haven't decided yet.

Interested in opinions.

Injecting can be very messy. What we do is to wrap the butt in Saran Wrap, place butt in alum pan and inject thru the wrap. Rub can be put on before or after wrapping. Like to let injected butt sit for a couple of hours for the injection to do it magic.

Good ideas.

So are there any worries about plastic from the packaging getting into the food? Seems like even if any did get in, it wouldn't be enough to worry about. Heck, we probably eat things everyday without even knowing it that are bad for us!

Thanks,

Steve

I use the big 2.5 gallon zip lok bags. Put the butt in and inject from the bag opening which is tricky. Whatever spuirts out and any leftover gets poured in the bag and zipped up. I will rotate it around and flip a few times in the fridge or a cooler of ice a few hours as well. My rub goes on last.

never thought about the plastic...oh well. I honestly do not inject much anymore, could not tell any difference. If I do have some applejuice lying around I will inject that. Can be messy but..thats half the fun.

I attended a Chris Lilly's class last summer that was geared towards competitors.

According to Chris, the pork butt is made up of different muscle groups and the injection does not penetrate outside of the injected muscles very well.

To get the meat more evenly saturated with juice, once the needle is inserted, rotate it around in a circular motion at the same time the juice is injected. This helps spread the juice into the surrounding muscle groups.

Also be aware in each pork butt there is a muscle he nicknamed "the dip stick". This piece is much more drier than the surrounding muscle groups and for competitors should not be turned in. I guess for non competitors that want to impress someone look for the driest piece and set it aside. It's very stringy looking.

Also the meat furthest away from the bone is supposed to the the best.

John

Thanks to everyone for their input. I decided to rub and then inject on the WSM. Seems like less mess and not as much rub will wash off during the process. I figure I can give her a couple of shots from underneeth (sp?) through the door too. I'll let you know how she turns out . . . with pictures too off course. I'm throwing her on tonight and adding some ribs in the a.m.

Back