Looking for a rib rub with a spicy pop at the end

PeterD

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all,
I've been experimenting with all manner of rubs over the last few years. While my results are usually very well received by non-Qers (NYC-area foodies more familiar with brie and arugula than southern- or Texas-style barbecue), for me they've all been pretty one-dimensional.

I was up at a comp last fall and I had one rib that just blew my socks off. Flavourful and very very complex with just a hint of "zing" at the end. Not enough to be considered Really Hot, just enough to leave a gentle-yet-very noticeable bit of heat, just as the taste of the pork and the many-layered rub wore off.

I didn't remember which team made it or I'd have gone back and asked how they did it.

I'd love to be able to create ribs with a finish that just doesn't stop. The three recipes I use are Jane's, BRITU and Meathead's Magic Dust from AmazingRibs. All are good, but nothing like that magnificent sample.

Peter, One of the first lessons I learned about wine-I was in the wholesale distribution side-was that everything matters.

That means the atmosphere or event, that means who I'm with matters...all the elements of the experience affect your reaction to a wine or food or rub. You are not likely to duplicate the same food experience. I do understand your desire to repeat the flavor experience. Perhaps you'll get close.

I think this was a little different. I'd sampled a few ribs here and there and most were better than my own but this one...wow. I was caught totally off-guard. Never had one since. Spicy without excessive heat.

I find most restaurant Q to be oversauced/overcooked dreck that plays to the masses but there are a few places that do real, authentic southern-style barbecue (and enter comps) and their pitmasters have all said the same thing - what I can go in and buy on any given night will be a very different rib than I'd get from them when money or bragging rights are on the line. What I tasted that day should have won (I don't know if it did or not) as it was head and shoulders above the rest.

Since competing isn't yet an option, nor are there any judging classes near me, my next-best option is to learn a few recipes to start with and tinker with until I can do my own as good or better that what I had up in Hudson Valley last fall.

This reminds me of an experience I had last summer at Pig on Beale in Memphis. The ribs there were like a light that shined down from heaven to tell me what perfect ribs were supposed to be. I have never again tasted anything close, though I have tried many, many spice combinations. I've eaten some very outstanding barbecue, but these were just altogether different.

So with all that said, what do the collective minds here on this forum think might be a good starting point for not just adding the needed pop at the end but maybe adding some depth to the flavours? The classic, published rubs are pretty good but to my palate, a little herb-ish and muddled. Nothing clearly standing out in the flavour profile; the tastes seem a little muted. My wife likes the BRITU flavors the best of what I've cooked so far. Me, I like BRITU and Jane's Butt Rub. Memphis Dust was "OK" but didn't really work as well as I'd hoped.

How can I kick this up a notch? Neither of us like spicy-hot foods, but a little nip of heat here and there is definitely welcome. Neither of us has cooked with Cayenne or any hot peppers before so this is brand new for us both.

Peter, I use two things to add heat to my rub . One is black pepper the other is chipotle pepper. A little bit of black pepper goes along way. It can quickly over power the rub. A little bit of chipotle powder adds a nice subtle smoke flavor and heat to the rub. Experiment to find the level you'd like

I never compete! I have never tryed an award winning rub/rib. But to me the coarse grind of the spices makes alot of difference. Same rub with a "fine" grind never taste the same.

Pick the flavour profile you like and try to coarse grind the spice. Added another dimension to my ribs.

Lightly re-rub with 1hr to go. I would do this with your fav rub but without salt. Also try some dried Ancho coarse ground.

I tried the chipotle route and the heat was too sharp; came on too fast.

Yesterday I was in NYC for their annual Big Apple BBQ festival and had ribs from a few vendors. All did more or less the same thing. Great taste on the first bite, then the heat comes in about a minute later and lasts for around an hour or so. Not high heat, but heat none the less.

I also found that what I thought was tender for my own process was nothing like what they were able to achieve.

What spices will bring on the heat slowly like that and not just explode your mouth?

Pure chipotle powder will do just that. BUT use less than when you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">tried the chipotle route and the heat was too sharp; came on too fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know how much you used but for starters, make your recipe as it reads but use half the chipotle it calls for. Now you can easily adjust the whole batch if more is needed.

Recipe I use has that in it and you don't realize it's there till a "ooh, that was warm" feeling comes in at the back end.

Even my father in law likes it. And he's a Scot and doesn't like much in the way of spices in anything. He liked this.

That sounds exactly like what I'm trying to achieve. What quantity of chipotle powder are you using (in how much rub)? I'm using the SYD all-purpose rub for ribs (and occasionally the Chris Lilly). The SYD calls for a half-teaspoon of cayenne. If I were to use chipotle in its place, how much do you think I should use?

And as to your FIL, I'm also part Scot (and a bigger part Scotch <grin&gt
icon_wink.gif
and I know what you mean. I generally don't like spicy tastes for the most part unless it's in a good Islay whisky!

In a total rub mix that ended up at 3 cups, I had added 1 tablespoon of the chipotle powder.

Keep in mind, I don't measure how much rub I use when I prepare the meat-->as much as is needed. That will definitely affect how "hot" it is for the eater.

If I remember correctly, I MAY have used a total of 1 1/3 cups of rub (on a mustard base) on 4 backs. That version was a bit warm for my brother.

Next batch I used about 1 1/2 cups of (the same) rub on 6 spares. Brother liked that better.

If you like the heat that Chipotles bring, but want to keep it a bit more subtle:

Maybe try getting some canned Chipotles in Adobo (a red sauce that some come packed in), and use a bit of just the adobo - which picks-up some of the heat and smokiness from the peppers, and dilutes it with other flavors.

i'm no pepper-expert, but from what I've seen - Jalapenos and Chipotles (which are smoked Jalapenos) tend to be heat-forward. When you use significant amounts of them, you get a quick "hit" of heat that tapers-off pretty quickly.

For the kind of heat that "creeps-up on you" - maybe Ancho (used in various chili powders) may be a better choice. It starts out lower, and has a nice dark, earthy flavor profile with heat that builds and lingers longer.

Another one that seems to do this is Habaneros (or "Scotch Bonnets" in keeping with your "Scotch" theme....
icon_wink.gif
). They are used in Jerk-style rubs / sauces, which have wonderful heat if used judiciously. However, be careful - these little buggers are POWERFUL stuff! [A little goes a LONG way!] I would de-seed one, remove the white membranes inside, and maybe add a finely-diced quarter or half of one in a batch of sauce to give it a try. (They won't "kill" you, but precautions may be in order - Rubber gloves or work fast and wash your hands / DO NOT rub yer eyes.)

If you use fresh hot / medium peppers - fire-roasting them before dicing and adding to a rub / paste / sauce can add some interesting character.

Oh - and adding some pureed citrus or fruit like pineapple, peach, or orange can complement the heat / make it brighter or more mellow. (how much? I don't know - just starting to experiment with this.)

It's funny you bring up the s.bonnets. I thought they were going to be the super hot peppers that I've read so much about.

I got one. The jalapeno I had at the same time was twice as hot as that bonnet was.

Read elsewhere that the growing conditions for the pepper has a great deal to do with the heat.

Just don't be disappointed if it's not as hot as you think it should be. You probably got a non-representative sample of what it should be.

Back