Citric Acid

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Anybody use citric acid in their sauces to give it a tart flavor??? If not a tart flavor what would it impart to the sauce ???

I don't use the powdered form, but I do add fresh citrus juice to some of my sauces. It does add a certain tartness or some describe it as sour or bitter. Depending on how much you use and what other ingredients are in your sauce, it can add a certain level of freshness or 'brighten' up the sauce. Lately I've been adding more acidity to my foods as an experiment with flavors. Citric acid is one option for acidity.

Paul

I tend to use other stuff for tartness or sourness but citric acid is something you can use. The only other thing it imparts is increased microbial resistance.

Paul,
I've used sumac for tartness in the past with good results.

Kevin,
I sent you a question to your private email account.

Paul

My wife gives her avacados a couple minutes in citric acid mixed with water prior to making her california rolls. Her objective is to prevent them from browning for as long as possible, not to leave any strong taste. We never did any side-by-side testing, but I think lemon juice or other citrus would leave a more over-bearing flavor if used in the amounts necessary to have the same anti-browning effect. I wouldn't say that citric acid leaves no taste, but it is fairly minimal.

Now that I've started into making cyser, apple wine, and considering home brewing I have malic, ascorbic, tartaric, and citric acid sitting on my counter I've started playing. It's going to take some time to figure this all out as the different notes of the acids are surprising more diverse then I would of thought. However, I see some definite application in my day to day cooking.

hmm, you must have missed this thread.

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, about half way through page 2, I give you my opinions on some souring agents.

Hey J , thanks for the link. You helped a lot with your analysis. I was also thinking about including the citric acid in rubs. You answered that question also.

I use it to make my sour dough bread taste better. There is a recipe on King Arthur flower, if you want quantities. The amount is a matter of taste....tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hey J , thanks for the link. You helped a lot with your analysis. I was also thinking about including the citric acid in rubs. You answered that question also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know if you come up with something. cirtic acid has a flavor that I associate with candy. I'm not totally ruling it out though. It might have some potential if used sparingly and blended with other souring agents to add some complexity (dont know if I mentioned that in the other thread).

for sauces, I would use a fruit vinegar instead.

I was thinking today that I've used citric acid before. My mother's recipe for stuffed cabbage used to use sour salt. I think that's the same thing. I could take some of that grind it up and try a little to my rubs.

Back