Bacon curing observations and questions

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
Last month I cured two slabs of pork belly followed by smoking. Both slabs were dry-cured for 8 days and then smoked after rinsing, drying and allowing a pellicle to form overnight. A couple of questions have arisen.

1. The slab that was smoked to 140F on the top grate had a great bacon flavor.

2. The slab setting on the lower grate was smoked to a temperature of 130F and it tasted relatively less cured than the top slab. Why the 'weaker', less cured flavor???

And for my next smoke I plan to cure all slabs 'tween 8-10 days prior to smoke and all slabs will be smoked to an internal temp of 140F. Prior to smoking I'd like to rub in some brown sugar. A couple of other question arise:

3. Should the sugar rub be applied before or after pellicle formation?

4. Should the slabs set in the sugar for some time prior to smoking?

1. Good.

2. The lower internal finish did not allow for as much flavor development. (I usually go to 145 at least, 150 more often.)

3. After, then get it into the cooker as sugar is hygroscopic and you don't want pools of water materializing.

4. The above refers to a light sugar application. If you want it sweeter still, increase the sugar in the cure, cure as usual, then apply sugar lightly, or use a rub containing a small amount of sugar so that, when applied, the sugar component is light. Load the bellies into the smoker immediately following rub application.

Back